will it pull it !!!!!!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

will it pull it !!!!!!

Post by 44gun »

can anyone tell me if my 59 power major will pull a plow with 3 16" bottoms. thanks 44gun

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: will it pull it !!!!!!

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

What kind of soil do you have?
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

Hi 44,

check the "Tools and Implements" forum. There are several plough discussions.
Here: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=6&t=5377
you see a couple Pictures of my Power Major with a 3 furrow plough. Main Problem is the missing diff lock on Power Majors :(
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

Adrian, the soil is a sandy rocky mix. not much "soil" to it. 44gun

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

county 654, nice looking plow and tractor. would really like a set up like that. would love a county 4wheeled machine. haven't even seen on for sale in USA. I do have a 3 point mounted 2 bottom AC plow from my father-in-law. not sure how that would work since there is no draft control on the power major either 44gun,

witty73
True Blue

Post by witty73 »

I have a 53 new major, which obviously is rated for less HP then your 59. I bought it at the neighbors estate sale after he passed away a couple of years ago as I knew he had purchased it brand new. I found that at one point the rear rims had been split and widened, so the original 16.9 x 30 tire could be replaced with a taller and wider 18.4 x 30. It was after visiting with another neighbor that I was told the reason. Apparently, Gunnar was told when he purchased the tractor at the dealership that it was capable of handling three bottoms, the dealership made this claim because they had sold a few already west of town, where the soil is a clay loam known as "gumbo" and they were pulling 3 bottoms. (NO idea what size, or make.) East of town where the soil is consider to be more of a "mineral" soil, meaning a yellow sandy type of loam soil, he couldnt pull 3 bottoms. One size bigger rear tire was the key, and the tractor pulled three bottoms from the time it was new in 53, until it was retired to light duty in the early 80's. So it would seem that soil type and rear tire size are the biggest two factors to consider. Please remeber, I am 41 and wasnt around to see it personally, but I have heard the story from the neighbors. I was always told this was the tractor that "changed their farm."

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

after reading some of the archived materials on plows I think my best option is to rig up a land wheel for my 3 point AC 2 bottom plow. that way i'm sure the power major will pull it and it gives me a construction project. any advice on what type of land wheel to use would be welcomed. thanks 44gun

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Henrietta pulls this! :clap:

Three 12" furrows at about 8" to 10", not very fast, in second gear but she is only around 30hp with the Petrol/Kerosene engine. We have medium soil here.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Hi 44, we pull 3-16 with ours all the time, but we have the soil to do it over here. As we are just west of Green Bay I would guess that your soil up there would be fairly close to what we have down here. Good tires and weights are necessary as well.

I was talking to a gentleman in Sturgeon Bay a few months ago, his family was the Ford dealer up there for several decades. We had discussed the County’s and I believe he told me they had never sold one or even seen one in that area. But you never know, there may be one stashed away in a barn somewhere.

Pat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK33w9Wax6U

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

Brian, nice plow set up. I need to be in England to find "cool" plows. 44gun

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

Pat, not sure what they call the "soil" I have up here in Iron river, Mi.. I know it has a lot of rocks!!!! Is the video you posted of you and your plow rig? 44gun

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Lovely scene, Pat. Some fine machines doing what they do best, not least your Major. It has that lovely throaty growl when it leans its weight into the work. Thanks for posting.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Yes that is one of my rigs, That particular tractor is earmarked to be the back half of a Doe but it has turned into my utility tractor for most everything, we cut grass with it all summer and are skidding wood with it now, but when I get caught up on some of my other projects she will eventually get hooked to the back of its mate in the barn. That particular plow see’s time behind most all my Majors including the County 4, I have a 4 bottom for the County 6
Thanks Adrian. My video isn’t much to brag about but you can see Marc running in the opposite direction with the Selene, just a tractor or two behind the 6000. That day was last fall and it was a beautiful day I was down to my tshirt and it was actually quite dry out there. A whole bunch of overgrown kids had a lot of fun out there that day.

Pat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLGScE1EGQ0

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Another great video, Pat. We all get the spanners out and unbolt bits and then bolt them back on again, but you can't beat putting the machines to work. Your County goes along nicely. No traction problems with this mean machine, I'm guessing, even in the damp corner?
It's funny how when somewhere is thousands of miles away you expect the landscape to be different from home. Looking at your two videos, your part of the world could easily be here in Suffolk, England. Add in the Majors and I feel really at home. Looks nice soil too.

witty73
True Blue

Post by witty73 »

Hi guys, me again. After spending some time chatting with the neighbor this weekend, it seems I had my earlier story wrong. My new major pulled a 4 bottom John Deere wheeled plow. 4- 16 inch to be exact. Just wanted to update.