roll bar mountings

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
fran63
Not Quite Blue Yet

roll bar mountings

Post by fran63 »

i have a roll bar for my power major but it did not have any mounting bolts when i got it.what thread are the mounting holes in the rear axle and does anybody know where i could get the correct size bolts from?

thanks

fran

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: roll bar mountings

Post by Brian »

Roll bars usually clamp around the axle rather than use the four mounting bolts on the top. These holes are into cast steel and would break out under a shock loading.they are also not very deep.

The roll bar mounting pad goes under the wing mountings, replacing the wing retaining bolts with longer ones and lifting the wing slightly. Another pair of bolts may then clamp around the axle slightly further outboard. Some roll bars also have a plate that mounts under the axle to take any shock loadings and stress away from the axle castings.

Roll bar mounting on my Super Major, not very clear but it will give you an idea of how it is done.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

The bolts for my roll bar are 10" x 5/8" and it needs 4 in total.

It took me ages to find them but they do get advertised on fleabay now, depending where you live. Dave
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

Hi Dave,
what kind of belt driven implement is in front of that tractor?
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Its a saw bench Matthias, I keep it on a pallet and move it around with the rear forks, or at least I used to I`ve recently bought a PTO 3 point linkage bench as its quicker to move and set up and also needs less room to work in. Just can`t get rid of the old one.
Back on the subject of roll bar attachment you can see in the picture mine doesn`t easily fit down as far as it should. I have to take it off to get the tractor in the shed and its a bit of a pain. I was going to try slackening the 4 holding bolts then tap the bottom brackets with a hammer to see if I could find a "sweet spot " where it would drop into place then retighten the bolts. Anyone got a better way? Thanks Dave

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Daves rusty bits wrote:Back on the subject of roll bar attachment you can see in the picture mine doesn`t easily fit down as far as it should. I have to take it off to get the tractor in the shed and its a bit of a pain. I was going to try slackening the 4 holding bolts then tap the bottom brackets with a hammer to see if I could find a "sweet spot " where it would drop into place then retighten the bolts. Anyone got a better way? Thanks Dave
Surely without the bolts fitted through the verticals the roll bar is not much use; in a roll-over accident the upper frame would just pop off the lower frame... :cry:

Do you know why it doesn't fit all the way down? Is it lack of alignment between top and bottom frames, in which case your plan of slackening the four axle clamp bolts might work. Perhaps shimming the brackets might improve alignment?

Or may be the frame or sleeve plugs are out of round; a little judicious filing might help. But your plan above sounds the first thing to try.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

That's right Ben, so now I`ve got the roll bar I want it fitting properly. If I slide either side on by itself it goes on easily so I`m hoping a bit of tapping will sort it. My main bugbear is that I was looking for a folding bar and family bought that one for my birthday so I`ve got to persevere with it :cry: Dave