How to stop 3 point arms from settling?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
witty73
True Blue

How to stop 3 point arms from settling?

Post by witty73 »

Hi all,

Warmer weather finds the old 53 out again, and of course I keep wanting to make the old girl better. I have noticed when the pto pump isnt engaged, the 3 point arms slowly drop. Is is possible to fix this so that you can stop the arms from settling without having to keep the pto engaged? If so, where is the best place to start? As always, thanks to everybody in advance for any help and advice.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: How to stop 3 point arms from settling?

Post by Brian »

It does not make any difference on a 1953 tractor whether the pump is engaged or not, the lift only works when you lift the lever. On Super Majors the lift corrects all the time the pump is engaged Automatically.

You are either going to need a piston seal or to check and lap in the unload valve. The piston seal replacement is covered in an article on the Wiki, with pictures. The unload valve is under the plate ontop of the valve chest. There are three types. Sorry thought I had a picture in my collection but I will scan and put one up later today.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/wiki/ ... epair.html

Codes fordsontractorpages and dotty noy your normal log in codes.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Brian
Very much enjoyed the pictorial Henrietta Hydraulic Repair article on the wiki. Most informative how-to description of the task.
Many thanks.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

witty73
True Blue

Post by witty73 »

Umm, does anybody else get asked for a username and password when trying that link that Brian posted?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, that is why I always post the codes for you. When we first started the Wiki, we left it open so that you could all add any stories or information you picked up. Unfortunately we had a number of people who trashed the information on there sometimes four or five times an hour. So Oscar locked the site and made it only accessable if you put in the codes "fordsontractorpages" and "dotty".

So far it has kept the idiots out but has made it slightly difficult for board members.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

witty73
True Blue

Post by witty73 »

Ok, thank you very much. I feel stupid and more informed all at the same time. :clap:

witty73
True Blue

Post by witty73 »

Thanks Guys, that is an awesome how to that take all the guess work out of it. Can't wait to dig in to it.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No problem.

Here is the manual page on the unload valves.

Brian

witty73
True Blue

Post by witty73 »

Ok, so now that we have it narrowed down to one of the two problems, is one more common then the other? Seal and o-ring replacement on the piston seems pretty straight forward. Since this is an early 53, I assume I probably have one of the obsolete types of valves...Brian, can you eloaborate on what you call "checking the lap?"

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There is a seaton the valve like a valve seat. If this is scored you will need to grind (lap) it in to get a new seat all round.
Brian

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Don't forget the piston in the valve gear ass. The one that is connected to the lever.
I was told by a mechanic that they could worn. A replacement had to have the right collour.
Checking the right diameter was done bij let is slide vertical in to the chest with a spesefic oil and note the time that it was taking to get to the bottom. To fast and the dia was to smale. To slow and the dia was to big.
To small means the oil will pass it to fast. A grove or something else has the same result.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

witty73
True Blue

Post by witty73 »

Hi All, Been a long time. Sorry to dig up an old thread like this, but I still havent fixed the majors 3 point problem. I was attempting to access the wiki with no luck. Is it dead?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

witty73 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:15 am
Hi All, Been a long time. Sorry to dig up an old thread like this, but I still havent fixed the majors 3 point problem. I was attempting to access the wiki with no luck. Is it dead?
Hello Witty,

It's fixed now.
The wiki software is some what out of date. I had to move it to another host to get it working again. We should look into this and put the information on another platform.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

henk

Post by henk »

Witty,

I'm still having the same problem as you.
I use a beam in my selfmade drawbar under the lift rod to stop my plough ripping all the stone or tarmet while driving on the road. It's a bit of a strugle getting the beam under it.
I now have an idea to make something else so it can be blocket just with two pins. Will try to get a jpg of the drawing of the idea on here.
Kind regards, Henk

henk

Post by henk »

This is what I have in mind.

Kind regards, Henk