Earth lead location.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
liam
True Blue

Earth lead location.

Post by liam »

Hi All ,Where is the earth lead on a super major supposed to be bolted to the body , Liam.

anthonygos
True Blue

Re: Earth lead location.

Post by anthonygos »

I've seen alot of them on the gearbox breather nut which is below the battery left side. (positive terminal earthed)
Don't just leave it in the shed, Fordson's are made to work, so take it out and work it....!

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

This photo (see first) from the brochure appears to show the lead running forwards to the top of the bell housing/engine block union.
I have connected mine (see second) to one of the more accessible bell housing bolts. Might reposition it now you've drawn my attention to it! :oops: :D :run:
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

Hi Adrian ,Thanks for the reply .My earth lead is in the same place as yours. I was looking at a few old pictures last night and the earth lead seems to go in under the battery tray. I think what looks like a lead in the brochure is the stop cable,some are routed that way in the old pictures I was looking at ,maybe Brian will know for certain . Liam.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Liam
The brochure photo is not clear, is it? One thing is for sure, the lead in the photo doesn't feed down to the bell housing bolt that you and I are using. We'll have to wait to see what Brian says.

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Not sure about a Super Major but the earth lead on my Major (1957) is attached to a nut and bolt, with suitable washers, which runs through the bulkhead where a separate cable is fixed to the other end of the bolt and attaches to two of the bolts that hold the starter motor in place. This is quite a neat arrangement, giving a very good earth, especially if the battery is located with the positive terminal ( earth) inboard on the battery tray.

This was how I found it when I started to strip my old girl down and have no reason to believe that this was not the original arrangement because of the special nature of the earth lead with its two connecting plates. No reason why an earth lead with only one connection should not be connected in a similar way
I might have a photo of this somewhere and will see if I can post it if you think that it would help.

Regards
Laurie

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Just had a look back through my photos. We're discussing the Super, but just as a matter of interest, the image below is of my Diesel Major (now sold). As you can see, the earth lead is bolted to the battery tray. The lead is of the braided type, unlike the Super lead.
I realise that this doesn't help with Liam's question. We're still none the wiser! :D :scratchhead: :help: :eyes: :?: :cry:
[Sorry about the somewhat indiscriminate use of the emoticons - couldn't stop myself!]

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

Hi Adrian ,I am beginning to think that it is bolted on to the the bracket that carries the tank.Liam.

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

My Super's earth lead is bolted to the rectangle casting just behind the fuel lift pump. However the location on the bell housing, as in Adrian's pic, would seem to be a tidier place for it.

Pavel