59 power major fuel lift pump repair

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

59 power major fuel lift pump repair

Post by 44gun »

can anyone tell me how hard it is to repair the fuel lift pump. My tractor has always start after 2 or 3 cranks. got to my place and it will not start. I had thought the lift pump wasn't functioning properly last fall. I purchased a fuel pump repair kit from yesterdays tractors. there seems to be a lot of pieces in the kit. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks 44gun

Gman
True Blue

Re: 59 power major fuel lift pump repair

Post by Gman »

Hello 44. If you read most of my posts, you will see I"m usually asking questions but I have a 59 PM and had same problem a few years back when I got her running again. Are you sure it is the lift pump? Is fuel getting to the pump, if not could be the tank filter, this is in the tank. You can take the glass dome off the lift pump and clean the filter on top inside and of course system needs bleed all the way to the injection pump. Mine was a stuck rack in the injector pump. You may want to look at my posts regarding how I freed it up. Before I did this I replaced the lift pump and it did not help. One reason I'm watching your post, I would like to rebuild a couple of old lift pumps. Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

gman, thanks for the info. I have not checked for fuel all the way. hopefully can do that today. there is fuel to the top of the bowl. how do you check or get the tank filter out. I have not had the tractor that long so don't know all the little stuff about it. I do love the old girl though. 44gun

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hey 44, like I said I'm more of a learner on here but the filter is on top of the fuel line coming out of the tank. If you are getting fuel into the bowl I would bleed the system to make sure fuel is getting to injector pump. Simple process, just be careful with the screws you bleed on the fuel filter, easy to strip :cry: . While cranking what does she do? Any white smoke coming out of the exhaust? I did a lot of posting when I was trying to get my girl running so you might want to pull up my posts, may help you learn a few things about a 59 PM. I see you are on my side of the world, most are in other places in the world, one reason I really like this site, the best site you will find for fordsons.
Also hello to all, hope your projects are going better than mine :beer:

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

The web site below will give you a good idea about overhauling a fuel lift pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgVMhjYKpM

Pavel

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

Pavel, thanks for the you tube link. that should get me on my way. as an update i did spend time on the tractor today. had fuel at the inlet of the lift pump, did not have fuel at the outlet of the lift pump. hopefully that means my problem is the diaphragm of the lift pump. I too have a 30.00 repair kit quality unknown. will start the rebuild tomorrow. 44gun

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

Gman, sent you a pm to call me. thanks 44gun 641 691 8834

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

ok took the outlet line off the lift pump and cranked the engine. it is pumping a solid stream of fuel. this time when i was cranking the engine i had small amount of white smoke i didn't have before. i'm now at a loss what to do or check next. 44gun

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hey 44, try bleeding your system all the way to the injector pump to make sure fuel is there. Did you run out of fuel before this started? The rack or control rod may be stuck. Others on here are much more knowledgeable than me. I think DD has a 59PM but don't see him post that often anymore, could have been the winter that was up north this year, he may still be digging snow.

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

Gman, the tractor was running perfect last fall when i put it in the shed for the winter. only thing i did was shut off the fuel tank valve. i opened the fuel valve this spring when i tried to start the tractor. i have never run out of fuel. i will bleed the whole system before retrying to start the tractor.

why would the fuel rod all of a sudden decide to stick? anybody??? thanks 44gun

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

oopps!! control rod.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Morning to everyone in the fordson world. If I get the brake job done on the car I hope to start my girl up today. 44, mine did the same, was fine and then was stuck, probably the cold winter you had this year, condensation gets into the oils if your tractor is not inside. You should be putting some atf in your diesel fuel to help keep things lubricated, the amount I'm not positive, maybe Brian can let you know the amount. I used aft to free up my control rod but did not take the cover off of the pump, I'm scared to mess with it. How long have you had your pm? How about some pictures of your girl? I need to learn again on how to post pictures.http://images.photo1.walgreens.com/2323 ... 6324nu0mrj
http://images.photo1.walgreens.com/2323 ... 3324nu0mrj
http://images.photo1.walgreens.com/2323 ... 7324nu0mrj

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

Gman, I've had my 59pm for almost a year. unfortunately i'm away from where it is almost 6 months out of the year. So don't get to spend much time working on it or with it. 44gun

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

UPDATE!!!!!! not sure what has happened,but I followed all the advice given. went down to shed and tried to start the tractor. after several attempts started getting more and more white smoke. finally on 4th try it finally started. it runs fairly well but tons of white smoke. it idles down real well not much white smoke. i have been reading old post to try and figure out the smoke issue. there are no bubbles in the radiator. I will say this tractor has not been worked hard at all since i have had it. i doubt that the PO worked it much either. do i need to hook to a heavy implement and give it a workout? thoughts appreciated. thanks 44gun

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hi 44 and all others, hope all is well. 44, great to hear she is running again. Working these girls really helps them, they need to be worked hard. Are you restoring her or got her for work? Check your timing, should be easy to do, there should be a little cover plate near bottom of tractor at the fly wheel. Check air intake that butterfly is opening and closing correctly as you move the throttle and check air filter, cleaning mine made her run a lot better, she maybe just not getting enough air. One common problem with the tractors is the oil in the transmission will flow back into the rear end, keep a watch on this if the transmission oil is going down and rear end oil is going up. Many have this problem, I have to pump the oil back into the transmission on my PM every time before use, the repair for this is a little more than I think I can handle. I put the battery charger on mine but didn't get to run her, I need to get my bush hogging done but have elderly parents and headed that way today to take care of whatever, mostly their yard work.

44gun
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 44gun »

Gman, I bought the tractor to work on my 40 acres. the tractor seems to be in great shape. previous owners unknown and maintenance is unknown. I need to learn to post pictures. will try to do that when i'm up north where the tractor is located. won't be there for a month or so. 44gun