P.T.O leak and pulley spares

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Dan-dan100
Not Quite Blue Yet

P.T.O leak and pulley spares

Post by Dan-dan100 »

After recently purchasing a Fordson power major of the many leaks it came with I have noticed an oil leak on the 'ram' that is attached to the P.T.O lever. Have looked on the Internet and just wondering if anyone could tell me what this part is called as I suppose you are able to get a seal kit from it.

I also have slack in the belt pulley on the right of the tractor. I am aware there are two bearings inside of the pulley and a seal to stop leaks. I am presuming there is wear in the bearings. I have not been able to find the kit, only the seal online. Just wondering if anyone knows of where I would be able to find the kit.

Many thanks in advance

Dan
Fordson Power Major 1959

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: P.T.O leak and pulley spares

Post by Brian »

The leak from the PTO selector is pretty easy to stop but you will have to drain the gearbox and take the plate off to refit the seal. Could be done without taking the plate off but it is much easier on the bench to remove and replace the seal. you will need a new selector gasket as well.

The pulley unit would be best removed and stripped down, the bearings will have numbers on them and you can cross reference these for modern bearings at a bearing supplier.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dan-dan100
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dan-dan100 »

Thank you very much for your response very helpful made my life a lot easier.

1 more question, I have found the seal

http://www.mayhilltractors.com/index.ph ... ct_id=3476

By splitting it from the tractor, is there another seal behind the the 4 bolts that hold the unit on

Many thanks again
Dan
Fordson Power Major 1959

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

This is what you'll find when you remove the PTO selector plate. There is no other seal to replace other than the one you have identified. As Brian says, you'll need to make a gasket for the plate when you refit it.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Dan-dan100
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dan-dan100 »

Thanks for the explanation and the image makes it a lot clearer

Many thanks for your help,

Dan
Fordson Power Major 1959

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Dan
Welcome to the forum. As you are talking of oil leaks have you checked the levels in the gearbox and rear axle to see if they stay near right, allowing for how bad the other leaks may be. The seals in the inside of the pto unit in the picture can leak oil into the rear axle. and the top gearbox seal can leak oil into there as well. It's a common problem on old majors , Both compartments are separate with there own oil levels.

Usually if seals go the gearbox runs low and the rear axle level runs high as head pressure on gearbox oil level being higher either pushes oil through if bottom seals go, or it runs through to rear axle if the top seal on rear of gearbox goes.
Might be worth checking this before removing that lever seal. if you fix that then find any lever drops and rises, you could be doubling back taking the side plate off again if the pto unit needs removing for internal seals :wink: .

If you don't already know ,Rear axle/hyd oil level is dipstick by gear shift lever. The filler is plug on rear casting behind seat. Gearbox level/ filler is plug on round plate that the pto engage lever pivots on. There are words written on outside by the gearbox fill hole to tell you where the oil height should be. if full the oil will nearly be at the top of the hole. If top seal leaks oil will be down maybe 4" or so. if bottom seals gone it will nearly be empty when you look in the filler on that side plate. It wouldn't be the first tractor to have both sets of seals leak either if your unlucky :cry: . I don't see many that don't leak in at least one set of the seals here, Unless the tractors had a proper going over with good maintenance and repair or a good restorations been done with all the seals changed.
if you figure you have this problem get back to us :idea: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Dan-dan100
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dan-dan100 »

Hi Robert,

Thank you for explaining this, I'm currently away until the end of the week so won't be able to check the gearbox oil until then.
Before I left I had been observing the rear axle level which began reasonably full, but know shows nothing on the level, I presumed this was the P.T.O shaft seal in which I have ordered with the selector seal. Which had caused all of the oil to drain, is this common or could there be another leak for all of the oil to have drained out of the rear axle.
Could you tell me how hard/ much work is involved in changing the seals because as you say a good restoration would complete the seals also I don't really want to have issues later on into the restoration. Are both the seals in the picture above?
I Will check the gearbox fluid when I get back to see if/how much fluid there is in there.

Many thanks
Dan
Fordson Power Major 1959

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Dan
Whilst we wait for Robert to come back to you, this old fifties illustration (beautiful, isn't it?!) shows everything that Robert is explaining. You can see the two oil levels, and you can even see the seals, if you look closely.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Dan-dan100
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dan-dan100 »

Thank you for the image Adrian, is a very good picture, is this a book? If so what would it be called as would defiantly be worth trying to get hold of 1, just bought the fordson new major E1a Haynes manual and the Alan T condie Major book, advised by some one as being the major bible on a different page. Do you think these will be very relevant to the Power major.

Back to the seals, the image shows the seals (the ones that are referenced to as I understand) I have also found another page on the forum where the major has been split due to gearbox issues.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... al+gearbox

Just wondering if there was any good images showing the seals in which you could tell me what picture it is, as I think there is, some show the tractor split.

Is this meaning I would have to split the tractor to change the seals :shock: !!

Sorry but one more thing thank you for the advice on the seals, being new to owning a major just wondering if there is any other seals/ parts you would advise on changing due to common wear and damage.

Thank you for all your help
Dan
Fordson Power Major 1959