Removing engine fordson major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Dazo1960
Not Quite Blue Yet

Removing engine fordson major

Post by Dazo1960 »

Is there any easy way of removing the engine from a fordson major regards Darryl

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: Removing engine fordson major

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Could you let us know what you are trying to achieve? For instance, an engine rebuild would mean removing the engine completely. A clutch renewal would mean splitting the tractor without fully removing the engine.
Could you let us know what facilities and tools you have access to?
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

Dazo1960
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dazo1960 »

Removing the engine due to the oil ports and galleys are blocked and no oil flow . If need full recon

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

This image should help.
You need to strip the front of the tractor, place an axle stand under the gearbox and remove the front axle. This leaves the engine jutting out ready for removal. I removed the cylinder head at this stage and then used some lifting bolts screwed into the top of the block to lift the block away from the tractor.
More photos to come.
I highly recommend that you photograph the operation at every stage. The camera will record details that you can look back at during the rebuild.

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Dazo1960
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dazo1960 »

Thank you Adrian that looks good to me I have the lifting gear ready regards Darryl

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

I've got lots of photos if you need to see where the process leads.
I would recommend being very methodical when dismantling the engine. Lay out each part in an orderly fashion. Cleanliness is another key principle that you wouldn't want to take any shortcuts on. When the engine is fully dismantled, every part, nut and bolt needs to have gone through a degreasing solution. It's a bit of chore, but when it comes to the rebuild, you'll be glad that everything you pick up is clean and ready to go.
Jumping ahead, but while I remember, prior to dismantling it's a good idea, well, essential, that you dot punch the con rods and their caps, and the main bearing caps, with corresponding dot punchings inside the block, so that these items go back precisely where they came from and the right way round. These items should have been marked in the factory, but by dot punching them with a simple code yourself, you can't go wrong.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Try looking here:

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/wiki/ ... rhaul.html

You may need the codes "fordsontractorpages" and password "dotty"
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Wouldn't leave the A frame attached without a support under it.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Fair point.