Super major 1960 water problems

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
misty blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super major 1960 water problems

Post by misty blue »

Hi

I've a 1960 super major with a 1960 cylinder head and a 1962 block. When she is running the top hose is very hot and the bottom hose is as hot but only from the water pump to the top of the bend. After that is it is stone cold. I opened the tap on the block and boiling water almost steam came out. The water pump is 3 year old and the thermostat is 3 year old but has been tested and works. The radiator was replaced 10 years ago with a new one, have flushed it out and water appears to be flowing through it. Is there a problem? Please help.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: Super major 1960 water problems

Post by BearCreek Majors »

I doubt that the pump is bad but the thermostat may be an issue. Check that the radiator is full and that the engine is not air locked, loosen up the fitting on the head for the temp gauge, there should be no air, just fluid. If it spurts out air before it gets fluid your thermostat may not have a bleeder hole in it. If this is not the case I would replace the thermostat again, only because it’s a cheap easy place to start.

Pat

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

Hi there as a general rule whilst the engine is warming up or under a light load the coolant is only circulating around the engine with the thermostat shut, the hot coolant radiates heat into the bottom hose coolant until the thermostat opens, the bottom hose will feel hot corresponding with the block temperature. Once the thermostat has opened the cool coolant will be drawn through the bottom hose into the water jacket and the hot coolant out the top hose, if however your not really working your engine and the thermostat is barely open your system will be in the state you have described due to a very slow circulation and radiation/conduction.
I hope this helps.

Do you have any over heating issues ?

Cheers
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

I agree with Stu's analysis.
It's worth remembering that the thermostat is there to keep the engine hot enough (even though the stat is part of a cooling system). In a diesel engine complete combustion as close as possible to top dead centre takes place with a water jacket temperature of around 200F.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Assuming you have one that works; is your temperature gauge reading normal or very high?

Pavel

misty blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by misty blue »

I tried running the engine with the top hose off to see if the water pump was working whilst filing the radiator with the hose pipe and it pumped enough to over flow the casting then the water stopped bubbling up so decided to replace the pump as well as the thermostat. Am now waiting for the bits to arrive.
In answer to Stu's query about over heating - about 2 or 3 years ago she used to pressurise the radiator and blow water from the overflow. I replaced the cylinder head gasket and that seams to have sorted that out.
Pavel - She does not have a temperature gauge so will get one and fit it.
I don't do a lot of work with her just plant a few potatos and some light grass work.
Once I've got the bits done I'll let you know how things are going.

Thanks very much everyone for the help

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

It all seems normal to me if i'm honest and nothing to be alarmed about. It doesn't sound like it's getting enough work.

Cheers
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader