Hydrolics

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Dazo1960
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydrolics

Post by Dazo1960 »

I am about to fill the hydrolic system with oil I dropped the sump plug of and some water and a bit of sludge came out there looks like a filter in the sump is there. Away of giving the hydrolic tank a quick rinse before filling with oil 1960 fordson major regards Darryl

Timeee
True Blue

Re: Hydrolics

Post by Timeee »

Dear Darryl

Unless you take the top hydraulic cover off the rear transmission, it is not really that easy to efficiently "rinse", or clean out the rear transmission casing effectively. There are a number of places in the bottom of the rear transmission case that it is impossible to really get to, unless things like the hydraulic pump and PTO shaft are removed. You can service the mesh screen filter however. If you look under the rear transmission casing through the rear hitch frame, you have already found the drain plug in the middle of a round cover plate, which itself is within a rectangular plate. Drain the rear transmission (loads of oil and perhaps water!) and remove the 4 bolts around the round cover plate. Lower it carefully and you will find a wire mesh screen filter that you can clean. The round plate can be cleaned as well. You may have to "tap out" a new gasket for the round plate, when you replace that. I have assumed that you have a Power Major with non-Qualitrol hydraulics as you state "1960 Major". Good luck and have plenty of containers ready.

Tim

Dazo1960
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Hydrolics

Post by Dazo1960 »

Thank you tim