super - stuck handbrake?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
rich2a
True Blue

super - stuck handbrake?

Post by rich2a »

hi all,
just added a rough `61 super to the fleet,
rear wheels are both stuck solid - first guess was hand break plates?
any other ideas ?
if it is the plates how many individual plates are there, and i guess the all need to be free from each other??
Last edited by rich2a on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1984 5610 FWD ,1981 ford 4610 ,1962 dexta,1959 power major, 1952 major, 1956 major, 1961 super major.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: super - stuck handbreak?

Post by Brian »

Could be the disc brakes stuck.

Remove the selector plate on the left and you can see the handbrake unit across the gearbox. You can use a long chisel or similar to drive the plates appart, then you have to split the tractor and remove the primary box to replace them. Check for housing cracks around the pins which hold the plates.

Memory tells me there are five driven plates and seven fixed plates. they are available on e-bay.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

rich2a
True Blue

Re: super - stuck handbrake?

Post by rich2a »

just had another look - the rear wheel only moves a few degrees- whist doing this the h/brake plates dont move at all , i have had my fingers in contact with them while the wheel was rocked ( yes i was careful!)
- i have prized them apart as much as i can.
i have opened the disc brake cover but cannot feel any movement here while trying to rock the wheel
what next - do i try and remove the discs etc?
ta, rich
1984 5610 FWD ,1981 ford 4610 ,1962 dexta,1959 power major, 1952 major, 1956 major, 1961 super major.

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

It's probably worth lifting the hydraulic top cover off and then you can see if it's rear transmission or gearbox, if it was the handbrake plates then with both wheels in the air one should run backwards and the other forward freely, it sounds more like the rear breaks seized or a deferential failure.

Cheers Fletch
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If you have the covers off the disc brakes you should be able to get one of the discs out. Strip the actuators out of the housing and I am pretty sure you will find the inner disc rusted to the back of the housing. Had that happen when tractors are stood around for some time.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

rich2a
True Blue

Post by rich2a »

yes brian your right !
took cover off - had a hell of a job removing outer disc( helped to press brake)
once outer was removed the wheel turned!!
did the same on other side -can now move the super to the other yard close to w/shop!!
thanks for helping out!
rich.