major with perkins engine

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
edmajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

major with perkins engine

Post by edmajor »

I have a 1952 major e1a that was originally a petrol tvo model but had a perkins 4/270 engine fitted to it with a proper conversion kit,are there many of these conversions still in existence? I have only seen one other

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: major with perkins engine

Post by Brian »

Back in the day a lot of petrol/paraffin E1As were converted to Perkins L4 and exported. Never seen one in my travels or at any of the shows in England.

A 4.270 would be a late conversion as the engine did not appear until the late 50's but would use the same conversion kit as the L4. Very good engine.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Edmajor, please post some pictures for us! did the bell housings bolt up directly or was there and adaptor plate?
Until now if I would have stumbled across one of these I would have assumed someone wrecked a major by stuffing the wrong motor in it!

Pat

JJPFordson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JJPFordson »

Hello Edmajor,

I am currently building a new major with a Perkins L4 engine.
Years ago I received a new major with a Perkins L4 engine from Denmark without the tinwork.
I am now overhauling the engine.
Could you send or post some detailed pictures of the altered bonnet?

Regards, Jurrie

edmajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by edmajor »

JJPFordson wrote:Hello Edmajor,

I am currently building a new major with a Perkins L4 engine.
Years ago I received a new major with a Perkins L4 engine from Denmark without the tinwork.
I am now overhauling the engine.
Could you send or post some detailed pictures of the altered bonnet?

Regards, Jurrie
hi jurrie. on my major the original length bonnet and chassis rails are still used,does your major have a casted sump and belhousing

JJPFordson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JJPFordson »

Hello Edmajor,

Yes, my Major has a a casted sump and bellhousing.
The length of the Perkins L4 is thesame as of the original Fordson motor.
At the front there are casted mounting studs bolted to the side of the motor.
Also I have the Perkins battery tray for the two batteries and the ki-gas hand pump.
The battery tray is wider than the bonnet.
I want to alter a normal bonnet to look like the one of the fordson outside the Perkins factory in the book of Allan T.Condie "New Major E1As 1951-64"
Probably the thermostat was mounted in the upper radiator hose because there is no thermostat housing on the cilinderhead.
Does anyone know where the thermostat was situated?
I still am missing the fan.
Photo's of L4 motors show several kinds of fans, does anyone know which one should be used in the New Major?

Regards Jurrie

edmajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by edmajor »

hi jurrie
the perkins 4/270 that is fitted in my tractor has no cold starting aids,it still uses the original battery box but the air filter was moved to the opposite side to be on the same side as the induction manifold and there was a new floor fitted in the battery box to allow the battery be fitted from the other side,there is just a single battery so there is no need to make the bonnet wider.i have seen the type of bonnet and battery box setup that is on your tractor on a major at the vintage show in Newark in 2014 on the perkins stand,if you google it you will find a couple of pictures of it.the engine that is in my tractor has the thermostat on the cylinderhead where the top rad hose is connected

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Just checked so pictures of the original E1A Major fitted with a Perkins L4 from 1953. There does not seem to be any modifications to the bonnet to get the battery to fit.

The air cleaner seems to be in the same place too.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian