Fitting a 13" Clutch to a 11" Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fitting a 13" Clutch to a 11" Major

Post by Dietmar »

I like to fit a 13" clutch (the original 11" is fitted) to my 1954 Major.
According to the OEM Parts Catalogue there is only one flywheel which fits all - except the live clutch system.
But the 11" has different mountings.
Who knows more about this?

Happy 2009

Best regards

Dietmar

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

It will not fit to the bellhousing with the 13" clutch, there is not enough space on a Major that old. From 1418861 and forward it is possible, (February 1957).

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

What you need Dietmar is the heavy duty 11" clutch. This used the standard pressure plate etc. but used a thicker clutch disc and had spacers under the mounting bolts and longer bolts.

The 13" clutch was introduced for the Power and Super Major tractors and also for industrial units. It used a different flywheel and thrust bearing which mounted on a greaser hub with a pipe through the clutch housing. To fit this unit on your Major you would need the later gearbox housing with the clutch shaft mounted further back to allow clearance for the thrust bearing hub, as well as the flywheel and clutch parts.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

Thank you Grani and Brian.
I will leave the 11" installed which has 1.3 mm left to the rivets.
This should work for the rest of the life?

Happy New Year

Dietmar

Tmac
True Blue

Better Clutch for 54: Here is what

Post by Tmac »

I had problems with my 54 with a loader and needed a better clutch. I had a disc built up using a "Feramic" disc liner. With the pressure plate being rebuilt at the same time I had them install springs that were 20% heavier than the originals. There was NO detectable difference in the amount of push required to release the clutch either.

The "Feramic" liner was said to last as much as 5 times as long as the organic liner. The "Feramic" liner is made from metal and ceramic. It is claimed to have a softer start than the original one too. True fully I couldn't tell that much difference in that, but I sure could tell it really pulled well. It has given me no problems and it was installed in 1992. What was really big difference though, was the fact that it cost 4 times as much to buy than a standard liner.