1956 major - new owner few questions

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mikedisco
Not Quite Blue Yet

1956 major - new owner few questions

Post by mikedisco »

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum, recently got myself a 1956 major that I have been slowly refurbishing and been using for some light work round my small holding, harrowing, topping and a saw bench.

I've just re wired it and replaced the fuel tap and bowl after a few issues.

I have a couple of issues I'd like you more experienced guys to help me out with if you would be so kind...

1. when I fit the top hat on the the oil bath unit it really restricts the engine and the revs really drop off? I have bypassed the oil bath and held the top hat straight onto the inlet manifold and the same thing happens? any ideas?

2. not every time but some times the gears and hard to find, if I push the clutch pedal up and down it works fine... any idea?

I'm a competent DIY mechanic with mainly Land Rover experience but this is my first tractor so I'm learning every day.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Re: 1956 major - new owner few questions

Post by Stu_Fletch »

Hi Mike

To solve your top hat issues you could try opening up the intake fins to let air though easier but make sure their still at an angle as there job is to swirl the air causing the heavier dirty dust particles to be centrifugally thrown out through the to top outer vents.
As for your double clutching to help this is a good idea as these are straight spur dog engaging gears as opposed to synchromesh. This makes them more difficult and in some cases if your not patient impossible to change on the move so double clutching to speed match the shafts helps. My gearbox is currently stripped right down and with 5000 hours on the clock is looking pretty good in there although the engagement on the reverse is starting to burr slightly, all those times those gears must have been crunched it's stood up to it very well!!!

Cheers
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Just to reinforce what Stuart says, gears were never meant to be changed on the move on these old tractors. You select the gear you want then drive off. The gears themselves are massive units compared to later tractors and the teeth can be up to 1/4" out of alignment sometimes when you are trying to select them. Just easing the clutch allows the teeth to line up.

DO NOT REV THE ENGINE WITH THE AIR CLEANER OR PIPE OFF!!! You will find that these engines will do about 5000 rpm and then you can check the big ends are OK through the hole in the block. :curse: :curse: :curse:

You engine should rev at about 1800 to 2000 rpm. Removing the "top hat" removes the restriction that makes the governor in the injection pump work so the engine is then un-governed. I know of a Power Major that overtook a Morris Minor on the straight road just past my house in the 1960's, with the air cleaner pipe removed, but when it got into our depot not a gasket on it was not leaking oil. Tweaking the fins is OK but be careful.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

Aaah I see Brian I thought he meant it was useless like that and I didn't realise that they had that much effect on the governor... Probably because I've not had any experience with them. ☺

Cheers
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader