Rarity of optional equipment on Majors

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Spicklas
Not Quite Blue Yet

Rarity of optional equipment on Majors

Post by Spicklas »

For a while now I've been wondering about the availability of pick-up hitches for Majors. The thing is that here in Finland most of the tractors have been equipped with non-original pick-up hitches, either at the importer, or later at some local blacksmith or what ever would be the accurate name for those making own hitches over here at the time. Some tractors were equipped with original drawbars too.

Now, when I've tried to check ebay, the original pick-up hitches for a super (those that occasionally come for sale) go north of 1000€. I mean, I have a raised PTO, also original power steering will also be possible to get ones hands on, but original hitch will be impossible to get. Or not impossible, but I won't pay 1000€ for one.

So my question is, are the original hitches THAT rare elsewhere in europe? Also, how rare are the other optional equipment, for example raised PTO, power steering etc.?

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: Rarity of optional equipment on Majors

Post by BearCreek Majors »

The rarity of options is probably largely dependent on the location. The pick up hitches are scarce to non existent over here in the US, but the auto clutch release were fairly common over here in my part of Wisconsin, as well as raised PTO and power steering.The Row Crops were mostly exclusively US, and on the other hand after several years I have finally found a set of cast iron front wheels for my 54 "not for export", that apparently can be found in most any old shed in Europe.

Pat

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Pick up hitches were a rare item on any Major, back in the day most implements went on the drawbar jaw hitch. The Fergy was the most common with a pick up hitch but that was because it was used for pulling trailers and other light work. :D

Power steering is another rare item over here, may be the British were a bit stronger back then. :eyes: I must admit that I see no need for it on my Majors as they steer very easily although it would prevent kick-back. Now Nuffy is a different story! :cry:

Both these items would involve a substancial cost when new and so farmers would not pay the extra.

I only really cmae across raised PTO's when I went to Australia. I do not think we sold one here in Norfolk.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

I would go along with Brian's comments. The only Majors I saw with pick-up hitches were those used by contractors for lime, or slag spreading. They towed the wheeled spreader, behind a large wheeled ramp on the road between jobs. The ramp was used by the lorries delivering the lime to the farm to back up onto, to tip into the spreader. The pick up hitch meant that they could quickly shuffle from road train to spreading with little effort.

I cannot recall any of the Majors on farms around us in Devon in the 50s and 60s having power steering. Once again, the only ones that did have power steering seemed to belong to Agricultural Contractors. Most farm tractors had a flat belt pulley fitted, usually for sawing wood, or grinding/rolling corn for animal feed. I would say that probably less than 10% of Fordson Majors (all types) that I observed had anything other than the pulley fitted.

Tim E

Spicklas
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spicklas »

Thanks for the info, guys! It would be something that I'd really want to do, to get as much of the optional equipment on my tractor. The machine I'm rebuilding will have a flat belt pulley, a raised PTO, live PTO (which is fairly rare over here) and also power steering. The tractor has a pick-up hitch, though not original. It would be interesting to get my hands on a reduction gearbox and first and foremost a complete original pick-up hitch, but that one might be a tough one to get.

Please, continue to add comments on availabilies of optional equipments also for other areas/countries of the world!

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Spicklas
Any chance of some photos of your mean machine?
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

:needpics:

Spicklas
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spicklas »

The machine is pretty stripped down right now, waiting for a friend of a friend to come back from his summer vacation, so he could sandblast the whole thing. After that the tractor will get some paint, and then I think I will post some pics. The tractor was in very rough shape when it came to me, used as both as a trenchmachine and to give power to a sawmill. In addition the tractor was stolen by a drunk, and flipped on its side about 20 years ago, so the engine was rebuilt. More on the tractor itself and the rebuild when I get it painted and more close to ready.

I know it's more for the parts swap forum, but since some parts are more easily available on different places of the world than others, I think it would be a good idea to swap parts between countries. For example somewhere a raised PTO is like rocking horse poo and somewhere power steering, though more common on the other place. Shipping isn't always hopelessly expensive. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?