diesel major steering box

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
pars65
Not Quite Blue Yet

diesel major steering box

Post by pars65 »

just stripped down my steering box on my diesel major so I can take it to an engineer to get it machined out so I can fit a 47mm oil seal ( mine was the old type) any tips on rebuilding it ie. putting the ball bearings back in the casings

anthonygos
True Blue

Re: diesel major steering box

Post by anthonygos »

Use grease to hold the balls in place when you refit them.
Don't just leave it in the shed, Fordson's are made to work, so take it out and work it....!

pars65
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by pars65 »

is it best to fit the bottom ball bearings first then side the shaft into the steering box then fit the bearing at the top.

pars65
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by pars65 »

rebuilt the steering box today bit of a pain to do but all ok.

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

Hi was it fairly straightforward? I've got to tackle mine at some point to take the play out, what parts would you suggest I could pre order ready? I assume you can't get the lip seal for the output shaft?

Cheers
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader

anthonygos
True Blue

Post by anthonygos »

Stu_Fletch wrote:Hi was it fairly straightforward? I've got to tackle mine at some point to take the play out, what parts would you suggest I could pre order ready? I assume you can't get the lip seal for the output shaft?

Cheers
Take it apart first before you order anything, if you want a PDF file on the s/box PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
Don't just leave it in the shed, Fordson's are made to work, so take it out and work it....!