Primary gearbox breather stud

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
paudie
True Blue

Primary gearbox breather stud

Post by paudie »

You know I'm currently after doing up my major and recently fitted my rebuilt primary gear box . I cleaned and cleared the breather bolt,which is under the battery tray. I fitted it and have filled the oil up to the correct level .But now oil comes out the breather stud and runs down the bell housing .should there have been a spring and ball or gause or something in the breather stud ??? I'm tempted to just block up the holes as it makes my new build look like a dripping mess
Paudie

paudie
True Blue

Re: Primary gearbox breather stud

Post by paudie »

Is it in the wrong location on the Inj pump side of the tractor ?

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

Mine is fitted front left nearest the starter motor, mine had been soldered up so I drilled it out and when it had thick 80w90 gear oil in never let anything out but I haven't been able to run it yet with thinner oil. Although my engine revs to 2500rpm alot faster than standard it still didn't throw any out :mrgreen:

Hope that helps
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader

paudie
True Blue

Post by paudie »

Thanks fletch I just went for a spin now and it's peeing out, I'll swap sides in the morning but I don't think that the stud hole on the starter side is going all the way through, but I'll check it out . Has anyone else any similar experiences with this ?
Regards Paudie

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello to all, hope all is well. Paudie, on my power major the stud is as stu fletch states.
Front left fuel tank above starter.
Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

paudie
True Blue

Post by paudie »

Hey guys I swapped the breather stud to the starter side and that solved it. That's the easiest thing i fixed on the major since I started, thanks for all you input . I've said it before but this is a great forum for us fordson fans . Thanks again :D

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

:clap: Not a problem, I'm glad to help, let's be honest I always need a helping hand or advise at some point.

Cheers Fletch
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader