Howard reduction box

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
woodcutter
True Blue

Howard reduction box

Post by woodcutter »

Hi all, has anyone tried fitting the reduction box backwards to increase road speed :?: I've tried searching but can't find if anyone has had results cheers all just thinking of building a road run tractor with a touch more speed :D

Spicklas
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Howard reduction box

Post by Spicklas »

At least it would be funny to see a major go 24 times faster than original. Top speed over 500kph. In lowest gear in idle it would go around 25kph, so it would be hard to even get going without outside help. And this is before thinking about fitting it to the tractor.

Fun idea though, anyone have pics of a howard to see if it would be possible?

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I've heard of someone doing it in a fergy so it was just something I thought That might be possible. I find on are road runs although the run itself is quite steady it would be nice to have a bit more speed when driving to and from the run itself, my brother has a np super Dexta and I can't keep up :(

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

That looks more complicated inside than I thought, i was hoping someone else has done this before but maybe there's a reason nobody doing it :) it's just not going to work and end up being too high geared , I think il leave it in the shed and try think of a simpler way of speeding her up cheers all

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

If you'll pardon the pun, is there any mileage in looking at bigger tyres / wheels ?
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes