saw bench belt broken

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
drz400
Not Quite Blue Yet

saw bench belt broken

Post by drz400 »

Hello can anyone help using saw bench at weekend and the joining piece on the belt broke. can any one tell me where to get one or any other way to re-join.

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Re: saw bench belt broken

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Alligator belt joiner on ebay.
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

I've got some Alligator joiner strip and am near Wroxham - if any help PM me - I seem to recall you were over the other side of the county :scratchhead:

Failing that you can punch a series of holes 1/16th - 1/8th inch either side and lace up tight with thick copper wire, hammer each turn flat and into the pulley side surface then twist tie on the outside of the belt, make a hole to knock the twisted ends into otherwise they WILL shred something about your person :curse:

Ditto with leather thong / bootlace, I understand there is now another meaning for thong, entirely unsuited for belt repairs !

Chainsaw pullcord might work if you can fuse the loose ends together, whatever you use, each turn is transmitting a fair chunk of power and tearing into the belt end.

HTH
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
The easiest Thing to do might be to find your local Tractor and equipment dealer that fixes and sells round balers. Go to them and see what they have for fixing/ joining round baler belts. There are several different types of lacing. They will probably have the tools to cut the belt square, and press the lacing on for you correctly for the job. Then you don't have to mess around cutting the belt square and hammering the new lacing the old fashioned way I was shown by my Dad and Granddad, probably 25 years ago when I had my first stationary engine and pump I used to show.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

I get mine from Lister parts on ebay