Buying Bits

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
billy
True Blue

Buying Bits

Post by billy »

Hello Chaps,

Have any of you bought a cam thrust washer, one that is round (not horseshoe). I have spent hours searching the web, found nothing. Has anybody out there know where to get them, or even got one I could by?

If not, could I use a horseshoe one? As a last resort?

Thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Buying Bits

Post by Brian »

The Major did not use a round thrust washer it was always Horseshoe. You would not get a round one over the camshaft or over the gear hub. Some Majors may have been fitted with the later single bolt fixing cam shaft but these will also have been fitted with a new front plate with a thrust area on the plate.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Billy, is yours a two piece round one, I believe I have run across these before.

Pat

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

Hi Chaps,

Sorry I didn't get back to you...

Yeah mine is a in two have like a split washer. I have read that it was either or, so I'm thinking the horseshoe *might* fit. Although it wouldn't be correct.

Thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have a feeling that, way back in the mists of time there could have been a two piece washer but Henrietta, September 1953, with the original front plate and timing cover without dowels, has a horse shoe one. There is no mention of one in the parts book or workshop manual/service letters either and all references start at 1952. So it is a bit of a mystery but I wonder if it was used in the truck application.

However, the horse shoe washer will fit and be OK, it is only that shape to get it over the camshaft. Just make sure your block has a locating hole for the tab.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

My major is a 53 one as well.
That creates a bit more of a story I guess.

Yeah the split washer has a pin on the top part. from looking at the dirt marks on the block it appears that the washer has been broken for sometime, there is very distinct marks.

so the horseshoe from say agriline alright to use?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, should be fine.
Brian