Power steering pulley

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Spicklas
Not Quite Blue Yet

Power steering pulley

Post by Spicklas »

Does anyone have a pulley for original power steering for a major? I have all the other bits and pieces (except for hoses which is not an issue), but cannot seem to get my hand on a pulley. It seems I have to have one made, but I need help in getting the right dimensions. Is there anyone on this forum that can help me?

Kjetil
True Blue

Re: Power steering pulley

Post by Kjetil »

You need two pulleys? One on the pump and one on the main shaft

Early next week I will be able to some measurements for you.
Probably have to remind me by sending a message

Spicklas
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spicklas »

I only need measurements for the crankshaft pulley, I already have the pump pulley. Thank you kjetil, that would be very nice of you!

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Spiclas
Just a quick question from your comments, I see many of those original Fordson kits for sale in on line auctions. They don't usually include the special power steering only type water pump with the altered fan flange and pulley on them, and when guys scrap the tractor they don't realise the kit needs it :eyes: . Do you have that in your parts kit, I'm not sure if thats what you're referring to as a pulley you have or not. If you don't have that correct pump with that alteration or an old pump you can rebuild with it you got to find one to make the kit work. There are no repro's available from what I know, and many guys with incomplete kits want them, so guess the price for a rare new or used one :cry:.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Spicklas
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spicklas »

Hello! Yes, I actually found a new old stock water pump for power steering models on ebay a year back, so that*s no problem. The problem is that i can't find a crankshaft pulley for original power steering, since it has a pulley of its own.

I have the special water pump, the power steering oil pump, the ram (which has been reconditioned) and the pump bracket (which I found on ebay that was made as a repro). What I still need is the crankshaft pulley, the two spring clips on the ram, the bracket which bolts to the frame rail and the back of the ram, and the hose connectors between the pump and the ram. I will post the info here when I find the correct hose fitting if someone else sometime need to replace them. I'm no expert in hydraulics, but I believe they are male 5/8 unf male connectors with a 37 degrees inverted flare, they are not available in every hydraulic shop anymore.

Kjetil
True Blue

Post by Kjetil »

I found a pulley. Large diameter 138 mm, Width = 29 mm, Small diameter 65,6 mm.
Bolts on with 6 small bolts, I guess this bolt holes are ready in your existing crank pulley
Bolt circle diameter: 79 mm
I don't know how similar to the original you want to make the pulley, but I can take a few photos.
Don't have a camera here, but possibly to the weekend

I cant guaranty this is an original pulley, but I bought the pump and this pulley a few years ago

Spicklas
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spicklas »

Thank you very much Kjetil! I you have a possibility at some point to take photos of the pulley, that would be much appreciated too!

Kjetil
True Blue

Post by Kjetil »

I don't belive the pulley I have is of the original type, or at least not installed as original.
When I looked into the Part List, a washer is missing, E1ADKN-6332-B
From the part list it seems to be a large washer
Also the two pulleys I have, is connected with 6 off 1/4" UNC screws
When I should put it together after measuring the pulley, I noticed the holes were drilled not symetrically,
and some of the holes were also oval to fit the treades in the other pulley.
Seems very home made and unprofesional. Almost as I should have made it my self.

Anyway, if you still wants pictures, I can do that

Kjetil

guduell
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by guduell »

My pulley on my selene has hole diameter 25mm and outer diameter 145.mm (The latter i just became unsure of as it was one hour since i measured will check again...)

It is held by the big nut and rotation i secured by three flanges on the back fitting between the studs on the other pulley, which also has the six holes.
Front side:

Back side:

Thank you for mentioning about the longer water pump. I saved mine now.
1958 Major
1953-59 mix with backhoe Hymas type 3 (project)
1961Selene 4wd (project)

Spicklas
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spicklas »

Thank you for the pictures guduell! I believe you have the original pulley that came with the tractor. Will start searching for a pulley that could be modified into something like yours. Still interested to see pics of Kjetils pulley too if it's not a big problem.

You should save the longer waterpump, guduell. Original water pumps have to get modified to fit the power steering tractors with a spacer between the pulley and the fan blade, otherwise there is no room for the power steering belts etc. But original is way better, as usual.