Finished at last

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Laurie
True Blue

Finished at last

Post by Laurie »

From time to time I have posted pictures of the retoration of my 1957 Major. After some 4 years it is now finished, well, as finished as these projects ever are. There is always something to tweak. It is not perfect nor concours standard but I am very pleased with the result . A big thank you to this forum which has been a great source of help and advice.
I have tried to keep her as original as possible. All the tin work is original except the pulley guard which I had to source. All the lights were shot and had to be replaced and the horn was missing. I have fitted a modern one but I have a more historically correct one which needs repair. The orignal dynamo gave out on me a few weeks ago and I have fitted a more modern replacement just to keep her running but hope to refurbish the original and refit it.

I reckon that I can refurbish the original headlamp shells and rims and fit them with some new internals. I have put the orignal Butler lenses in the replacement headlights for the time being.

Anyway a few before and after pictures which I hope are of interest

Regards
Laurie

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: Finished at last

Post by BearCreek Majors »

A beauty, and excellent work Laurie. :clap:

Pat

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Lovely job, Laurie!
I don't think mine will ever look like that.
Did you get the steering wheel re-rubbered? over here they all turn to bones it appears.
Easy number -plate to remember!!

Congrats on such grand work.
Richard.

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Thanks for the comments.
No I left the steering wheel as it was. I did think about getting it restored but it is not too bad and somehow it was just nice to have a reminder of how things were before we started. I did fit a new washer and nut as the originals had got rather tatty.

Re the number plate not sure if you have read my earlier posts but one of the reasons that I got the tractor back in 1985 was that she was to be used to cut our local cricket ground and "LBW" -Leg Before Wicket- is away of getting a batsman out in cricket ! It proved to be a good omen.

Regards
Laurie

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Looks great :clap: if your like me now you finished it you will want another project :D

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

What a nice job you've made of that Laurie - do you have cutting rights at the cricket ground so she can go back and play ??
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Laurie,

Although I'm in Alberta Canada, I'm Yorkshire and that is why the LBW is easy to remember for me!
Mind, I go back to Freddy Truman times......... :)
I'll have to go back and read your old posts.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Excellent work, Laurie. A beautiful example of these wonderful machines we all love.
As Rick says, wouldn't it be lovely if LBW 916 could return to her former grass cutting duties at the cricket ground. I for one would love to see photos of that.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

The pictures were taken at the site of the local village hall with the cricket ground in the background of some of the pics. I did use her to cut the grass once during the summer before she was finished but up and running. I think a bit of a work out did her good. The cricket club has a set of gang mowers powered via the PTO which require a bit of TLC so that will probably be my next project. I will post some pictures next summer.

I did mention to my wife that I fancied another tractor ( Dexta ?) but she started looking up the numbers of local divorce solicitors so that might not be the way to go !

Regards Laurie

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Laurie wrote:I did mention to my wife that I fancied another tractor ( Dexta ?) but she started looking up the numbers of local divorce solicitors so that might not be the way to go !
Are those rear lights brake lights or running lights?

Lovely job!! :clap:

Tell your wife you're not out yet, just a night watchman!

Tomorrow it's a dexta - will be so much easier next time round....
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Ben.The rear lights are just running lights with a built in reflector. Nothing so sophisticated as brake lights on a Major. You're lucky if you actually have any brakes !
Regards Laurie

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Great job Laurie. :clap:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Great job Laury,

Don't worry about the sollicitors. I take my wife out shopping, have a nice meal and tell afterwards I've bought a tractor. ;)

rgds

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Emiel. Thanks for the suggestion-its worth a try. Alternatively I could but her one for Christmas but I am not sure I could afford the wrapping paper ! Anyway, I dont fancy eating Christmas lunch on my own in the garage with the tractor !

Regards
Laurie