Fordson county crawler track adjustment

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Crawlerlad
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson county crawler track adjustment

Post by Crawlerlad »

hi, Can anybody on here help me please, I have been trying to adjust my tracks on my type a county crawler, one side the locking nut undoes and the track adjusting screw turns out tensioning the track, The other side the locking nut undoes but the track adjusting screw will not turn out, can anybody on here please help

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Fordson county crawler track adjustment

Post by henk »

Is it turning in?
Use creeper oil and move it back and forward untill it moves free. Could be rust or paint.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

A bit of heat will not go amiss, I have also seen but not tried, heat and candle wax. Heat the item, apply candle wax to hot item and allow to cool, the wax will flow down the threads and solidify so lubricating them as you undo them.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Crawlerlad
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Crawlerlad »

Hi thanks for your reply henk, it will not turn in or turn out

Crawlerlad
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Crawlerlad »

Hi thanks for your reply Brian, it does seem to move a fraction, not a full turn by a long way, but then it goes really solid we have had stillsons and a bar on it trying to get it to move but it just seems to be very very tight, is there a nut or something that it screws out off at the back that might off come adrift or something

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

If I remember rightly, the adjuster threads go into a rectangular box shape casting with 4 nuts keeping the end plate on. Don`t undo those nuts, there is a compressed spring providing tension to the adjusters inside with something in the order of 13 tons psi, it could kill if released. Plenty of releasing fluid, plenty of heat, and a longer pipe with a big bloke on the end of it. Dave :curse:
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

Crawlerlad
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Crawlerlad »

Thank you Dave off your comments, took onboard I will try what you said, haven't got a big man but we have got a big woman, will let you know how we get on Tom

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

To add on Brians suggestion regarding candles, IF you can get real tallow (either candles or used as a lead/tin solder flux looking like a candle but no wick) this is the finest lubricant for screw threads under load such as your problem and screw operated bearing etc pullers, cable shorteners etc.

However it sounds like access to the screw may be a problem, in which case get some powdered graphite (which is sold in puffer bottles at awful prices by locksmiths) mix some with a little diesel and trickle it in along a wire to the screw which will also help.

Needle gunning any bits of the linkage while dry either screw or 'nut' may help break up the rust / mud which is holding it.

Best of luck with it
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

I don't know if it's available in your area, but here we have an aerosol can of grease in a carrier.
It sprays on as thin as WD -40, then the carrier evaporates and leaves a coating of grease on the parts. It really penetrates well.

Good luck!

Richard.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Crawlerlad,

I have been lucky with my crawler and both adjusters are free. As far as I can see everybody is right with their suggestions. The only other thing I can add is, so long as the track is not falling off lube it, work it, and whack it with a big hammer until it is free. There is no magic solution for stuck parts, just patients and a little luck.

Regards, Frank.

P.S. My favourite solution is set fire to it if it is stuck, but I don't think that is a viable option in your case.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Hi Frank,

Your place has not been burnt (heated) again has it, in the latest fires out there?
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Brian,

Thankfully no fires near me yet this season. Still a few months to go before the worst is over though. I feel very sorry for the people who lost their homes on the Great Ocean Road, but thankfully no lost lives. The time before there were many who did not live. Some lessons seem to have been learned at least.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.