Injector Pipe Leak

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
muhlig
Not Quite Blue Yet

Injector Pipe Leak

Post by muhlig »

I have a 1962 Super major with the Minimec injector pump, and am frustrated with the no. 4 injector pipe leaking at the union at the cylinder head. I have tried tightening the union but to no avail. Can anyone describe how to fix this leak. It is resulting in fuel seeping down the side of my engine. Is there a o ring I need to replace ? what is involved in this repair ? Will I need to replace the entire fuel pipe ?

Thanks for any advice.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: Injector Pipe Leak

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

The nut needs to pull the olive onto its seat in line and not at an angle. The injector pipes are thick-walled and difficult to bend, but it could be that the olive and seat are not mating properly due to the pipe approach angle. Try attaching the injector end of the pipe first, then attach the other end of the pipe to the pump.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

58vintage
True Blue

Post by 58vintage »

Good advice there from Adrian.
If that doesn't work the olive on the end of the pipe my have crushed slightly. Any local diesel shop would be able to replace the olive for you for a couple of pounds.
regards,
James.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
I would check the pipe very carefully up close to the olive, i have seen the odd pipe or 2 crack just behind there close to where the hole is in the nut when it tightens up. if you cant find a crack there, or anything the others said. This next suggestion goes back 3 or 4 generations in farm fixes in my family :wink: . I don't know if you have feed/seed sacks or something there stitched closed with that white cotton bag thread, or even something like white multi strand parcel string the stuff with like 6 strands twisted together. you need one piece of sack string or 1 strand of parcel string. then wrap it round the pipe maybe 4 or 5 turns where the nut tightens down on the olive. wrap it so it doesn't unwrap when you tighten the fitting. the idea is when you tighten the nut down the strand of string compresses with the nut and pushes the olive into the fitting on the injector further/tighter, if the olive is slightly worn or moved slightly on the pipe for some reason. I have done this a few times with old tractors as a quick fix, that became permanent in the end :eyes: :run: . try it you might get lucky :) .
Just thought about something else I had happen with a Perkins V8 diesel once :cry: . Check that the fitting in the injector isn't cracked and weeping when it's tightened. if it is cracked the taper of the olive forces the crack open. then the fuel will weep or spit under injection pressures :idea: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

I would just stump up 9 quid (A$20) to Agrilne for a new one. Delivered to Australia in a week.

Steven
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.