Registering my major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
woodcutter
True Blue

Registering my major

Post by woodcutter »

I have an old fordson major that my relative bought from new but the original buff log book has got lost but I still have the original reg number, so I sent it off to dvla using v62 and in the box for chassis number I put the serial number off the little plate on firewall not sure if that's correct or not, anyhow they have sent it back saying I need to get confirmation off an owners club and gave me a list but couldn't see any fordson clubs on there, so now I'm unsure what to do now anybody got any advice. Cheers

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Registering my major

Post by oehrick »

Brian will tell you who is best, I can't remember the thread but it wasn't long back if you search.

I did mine at the tail end of the regional DVLA offices still being open and went to our local motorcycle museum (nearest authorised body on the DVLA club list) who couldn't have been more helpful - then had two return trips to the DVLA, being dead I had to take dads death cert in as the lady couldn't find a way through the change of ownership at 1st visit, then when the new V5 arrived from Swansea and I took it to the local PO for the disk they couldn't issue one as it was in the Disabled Vehicle category - true cos I had the battery in the car - so back to DVLA Norwich (after a hopeless phone call to Swansea from the PO) and the lady who had been so helpfull first off went out back and brought through the original form (which they had faxed to Swansea for somene there to input) and took great delight getting a supervisor there to ring a Swansea equivalent and have it put right, whereon she issued the disk ! Free but cost three return train fares!

Do what Brian says, to the letter, kill a scarificial goat, burn Rowan & Mistletoe, throw salt over your shoulder and take to drink just in case :cry:

Best of luck, the old boy at the motorcycle museum on hearing I'd also got a S1 landy to re-register told me to get it done while the local office was still operating, with some of the stories I've heard since it was excellent advice :curse:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Lovely observation of life, Rick. No-one does bureaucracy like us Brits! :D
Your brush with the DVLA reminds me of that Dad's Army episode when Mainwaring imposes martial law on Warmington-on-Sea, and Mr Blewitt has to get a permit to have a bath! Very funny exchange between Corporal Jones, the permit-issuer, and Mr Blewitt, the issuee, who presents himself in the church hall wearing his dressing gown - he's jumped the gun and has already run his bath, which is fast getting cold!
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I only want it to be legal if I do a roadrun it probably will only go on the highway once maybe twice a year I haven't heard of any road runs getting stopped by the police, but I tend to drive mine to the meeting place and then drive home after, so we shall see I've asked my. Local vintage club they couldn't help but there is a chap advertising in the back of the tractor magazines so I may try him cheers

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Woodcutter
I used Thomas Andrews in Truro, Cornwall for one of my Majors a few years ago. Not sure if Thomas is still providing this service, but he was very thorough.
Hope you get sorted out. As you say, you really want to be legal so you can enjoy your tractor to the full.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:
ps I have Thomas' contact details if you need them.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Contact Pat Pawsey at the Ford and Fordson Club, Pat posts on here. http://www.fordandfordson.co.uk/ffa_membership.html

Take lots of pictures of your tractor and casting codes from all castings. Check the serial number from the block either from the clutch flange behind the starter or from under No.1 injector. The fact that you have the original number is of no use if you do not have the log book (new regs). :cry: :cry: :curse: :curse: Take a picture of the number on the tractor anyway.

I did all mine through the local office as Rick did. When they started to query if what I had was a tractor I produced a picture of her ploughing, from that point on it was plain sailing and the picture was passed around the office with great interest.

The one tractor I tried to register through Swansea, I had all the numbers, pictures and buff log book but they still would not let me have the original number.

Check out the Wiki, (fordsontractorpages and dotty are the passwords you need) there are pictures of all the casting code positions and serial numbers in the article "Identifying Your Major". http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/wiki/ ... Major.html
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!