Dillema...

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
RH
True Blue

Dillema...

Post by RH »

Have a dilemma chaps;

Went to my local Fordson boneyard yesterday for a few parts for the FPM I am working on.

As the valve chest on mine was rusty and full of this evil -looking oil, I scrounged another. Hmmmm.........It got me thinking!

This one I just got is like new inside! and the hydraulic cylinder and piston hasn't any corrosion on it. In fact the outside of the cylinder is still painted with a red-oxide paint.
Now: (and this is where you blokes might be handy!)
I started wondering about getting the rear end off this tractor, and replacing the one I have.
My present rear end has the above -mentioned oil in it that resembles gone -off linseed more than anything else, and I'm not sure how to get it all flushed out, it's like rubber where it has sat and set.
Also, my "High -low" shift isn't working and this one at scrapyard is, And, as I have to split the tractor anyway to fix the front gearbox seals, (oil in clutch -housing) then I could just stick this other rear end and gear-box on to my front half.
(My present gearbox has the same flaming oil in it as the rear end. Sticky as h--l. )
I'd have to go back and look at it all more closely,though.

Any thoughts or pros & cons most welcome!

I did get a cowl, /nose cone or whatever, both grills, the valve chest and cylinder with piston, plus a seat. Still need a steering wheel (Will a Dexta fit?) and turnbuckles for the arms.

Richard.

SkidRoe
True Blue
Location: Tetenhall Wood, UK (was Thorndale, Ontario, Canada)

Re: Dillema...

Post by SkidRoe »

I know for me, it would come down to my frugality. If you can get the whole rear end for the right price, why not?? Like you said, you have to split the tractor anyway, and you would have your old rear end as a source of parts if required.

As far as the Dexta wheel goes, no it won't fit. The shaft/spline is much bigger.

Which brings up a question that I had. Our FPM needs a steering wheel, plastic is gone. Many of the new wheels that I have seen look more like one for a X600 series tractor, with a centre cover for the nut. Call me a steering wheel snob, but I am kind of partial to the original style, with the acorn nut in the middle. Is there a good source for these?

Cheers - SR
Fordsons: 22 F, 36 N, 50 E27N, 60 FPM Past: 60 Dexta, 61 SM
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600
Others: MH 30 & 44, Oliver Super 55, Bobcat 440b & 773

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I would go for it but perhaps fit the bits rather than the whole lot, Once you have the top off it will be easier to clean out. If you have a nice level surface, some help and some lifting gear then changing the whole back end would not be too bad so it is your decision. :scratchhead:

If your internal gunk is so solid that washing and cleaning with a de greaser won't shift it then I cannot see oil doing anything to it. Your filters and valve chest are different, change them.

A good coat of solid "underseal" in the gearbox might help to keep it quiet! :run:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

SR, I have been happy with the last few steering wheels that I purchased from Agriline.

Pat

SkidRoe
True Blue

Post by SkidRoe »

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the suggestion. What is shipping like from the UK?

Cheers - SR
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Thanks for all the replies chaps, will reply in full later, but just wanted to say to SR, that if he didn't mind an aluminium steering wheel, one off an E 27N fits.
Agriline ship fast as well, and at a reasonable rate. Got engine stuff and hoses, etc. from them and pleased with the service.

More when I get back to the house!
Richard.

SkidRoe
True Blue

Post by SkidRoe »

Hi Richard,

I was thinking about an E27N steering wheel, but we used up our spare one a few years back. My dad had an unfortunate incident where our E27N ended up upside-down in a ditch at a plowing match...

Good to know that shipping is not to bad. We will likely have a shopping list for Agriline.

Thanks!! SR

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

I have always had good luck with Dunlop tractor spares as well (actually better and more knowledgeable), but I don't believe I have gotten a steering wheel from them yet.

Pat

SkidRoe
True Blue

Post by SkidRoe »

Thanks, Pat. Good to know.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

A lot of the parts being offered now come from the "Land of Nearly Right" just across the Irish Sea. The quality is rubbish. I have had ignition switches that fail in a short while, Major oil pressure gauges wrongly threaded and the mounting lugs in the wrong position, Dexta heater switches that are a dead short to earth, radiator caps that you can bend in your hand the list goes on and on. Other people at shows complain about the same things.

Dunlop were good and have a good reputation but my last items from them show all the faults of their competitors. The original supplier is the same. Another one to try is www.railswoodtractors.co.uk They have links with Blue Force and from what I have seen at shows, have a better quality of parts. The Major steering wheel is 4950 in their parts list.

Most of the Dexta steering wheels I have seen and I include the one I have on Dotty that came from Agriline, are the wrong shape, flat rather than dished as the Dexta should be, but apart from that mine is wearing well and sits outside in the weather all year long.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Thanks again for all the contributions on this & associated topics! "-)

Brian,
Yes, the 'underseal' might keep her quiet!
I will ask the owner today what he would want for this rear end, (and by the way, it sounds like original parts in GWO are at a premium if new stuff is quite often 'not quite right')
I'll take it from there.
Maybe I should flush the rear end out as you said in my other thread Brian, then see how it looks and sounds.

Can I leave this 'new' valve chest off & run it ok?.............maybe engage the PTO for a minute or so to flush the crap out of the pump?
Maybe take this one step at a time!

Thanks again,
Richard.