Baffle in Valve Cover?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
optimistjohn
Not Quite Blue Yet

Baffle in Valve Cover?

Post by optimistjohn »

Hello everyone. I'm putting together a FPM which was kind of a basket case, and I'm in need of some advice about the valve cover. It's the style with the holes around the edge, and inside the cover towards the top there's most of a steel sheet welded to the cover. It looks like a baffle to keep oil from splashing into the vent tube, but it's cracked with some broken welds and part of it missing. Before I start in replacing it I'm curious is it a Fordson design or maybe some previous owner added it? And if it's Fordson, how far should it extend towards the oil fill cap? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, John in SC

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Hi John,
I just looked at a spare Mk. 1 valve cover that I have and it doesn't have a baffle, but it doesn't have a vent either. I think the Power Major has a baffle, but I don't remember for sure. Someone here will know.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Power and Super have a baffle under the vent pipe. From memory it extends about 2" to 3" forwards from the pipe.

Because the airflow through the engine is drawn in from the breather on the timing cover and out through that small pipe to the air cleaner, the baffle is needed to prevent oil from the rockers also being drawn through to the air cleaner.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

optimistjohn
Not Quite Blue Yet

Baffle in Valve Cover?

Post by optimistjohn »

Thanks Brian for the information. I've replaced the baffle, and I'm one step closer to getting that bad boy cranking again. Sincerely, John