headlights.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
witty73
True Blue

headlights.

Post by witty73 »

Hi All,

Been awhile, but I've been tinkering with the '53 again. I've been looking for the better part of two years for a left side front headlight. I am attempting to keep the tractor mostly original, and have a really good right side headlight. The problem is, the left side socket and bulb had corroded together beyond repair. So essentially I have a good housing, lens, and retainer ring. I have looked at the aftermarket offerings, and they are close, but not correct in terms of size and appearance. When I started this project I thought to myself, "I'll keep my eyes open, and one will turn up." No luck. Any ideas? Also, does anybody have a picture of the correct horn? When I rewired the tractor I did run the wires for the horn. I am trying to decide what kind of horn to put in the place of the original. Thanks in advance.

super6954
True Blue

Re: headlights.

Post by super6954 »

Hi Witty
where are you located as I probably have something here, "in storage" depending how good you want the chrome in the reflector, there is 1 original horn on a tractor as well but not to sure if there is anymore kicking round without looking. I'd like to keep at least one original horn if I can. I'm in Manitoba Canada but might be able to ship the light parts or horn if I have one spare. if you wanted to try do something with them.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

witty73
True Blue

Post by witty73 »

Let face it, anything is better than what I've got right now, which is no lights. I am in northern Minnesota, right on the border of ND / MN, and about 75 miles south of Emerson MB. I would love the chance at some parts, sounds like you have inventory. The left side headlight I have now has a trashed reflector and socket, with absolutely no fixing it. The lens is good, the retainer ring that holds the lens to the housing is dented, but functional. I could spend a little time with a pick hammer and probably fix it, but would prefer to find a nice ring, if such a critter exists. The housing is functional, but I had to weld the mounting stud to the inside of the of it to keep it from turning round and round as I freed the rusted solid mounting nut when I was removing it. I could reuse the housing if need be, but would prefer to replace all of the damaged parts with a suitable donor, if one is available. As for the horn, not a big deal, Just thought it would be fun, as none of the 8n/9n's, WD Alice, or Green parade tractors around here have a horn to honk. If I cant find an original that works, I will likely mount something under the hood that sounds cool when you push the button. I was looking at the repo sites, and they list a high tone horn, and a low tone horn. I'm not sure what the difference is, or which one the 53 is supposed to have. I assume you can PM me on this site, if you indeed have some parts Robert, I would love to hear from you so we can negotiate. Thanks for responding, Eric

SkidRoe
True Blue
Location: Tetenhall Wood, UK (was Thorndale, Ontario, Canada)

Post by SkidRoe »

I am kind of wondering if the horn would be similar to the Lucas one that we have on our 1950 E27N. It would at least be from the same period.

Looks like this: https://www.armoursltd.co.uk/product/ho ... s-altette/

HTH - SR
Fordsons: 22 F, 36 N, 50 E27N, 60 FPM Past: 60 Dexta, 61 SM
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600
Others: MH 30 & 44, Oliver Super 55, Bobcat 440b & 773

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Witty
I had a look round, there are some lights and parts here, the chrome is kinda yellow/gone in the reflectors, I have a few original horns here, 2 are like the ones skidrow shows and the third on a 55 ish tractor is a newer style. I will pm you my email address later, Maybe you can send me a couple pictures of your lights so we know everybodys on the same page for type. I would also like to get those horns off and see if any work. I got 2 new ones from ebay cheap like in skids link. One works one don't but I don't know why yet. I need horns for my 27N 's of that early style. If I got any original working ones to sell , or can fix the bad repro one that should look correct for your tractor you got first refusal if you want one .
Catch up later :) , got to go fix a Belarus tractor :eyes: :cry: :run: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

witty73
True Blue

Post by witty73 »

Thanks Robert.