DAR Solution?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
SkidRoe
True Blue
Location: Tetenhall Wood, UK (was Thorndale, Ontario, Canada)

DAR Solution?

Post by SkidRoe »

I found this in my searching for parts for the PM. Has anyone ever fit one of these to a Major?

http://www.steinertractor.com/FDS457-hy ... structions

Just looking at it, my "Sounds to Good to be True" alarm is going off; I just cannot see the same solution working for so many different models of Ford tractor. Did Ford go out of their way to standardize this interface?

I just can't see it being that simple.... But if it is, great!!

Thanks/Cheers - SR
Fordsons: 22 F, 36 N, 50 E27N, 60 FPM Past: 60 Dexta, 61 SM
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600
Others: MH 30 & 44, Oliver Super 55, Bobcat 440b & 773

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: DAR Solution?

Post by Brian »

I have never used one or seen one used on any Ford or Fordson tractor but that does not mean anything other than we have always used the correct valve for the tractor.

A few years ago, on here, there was some discussion about using valves from the later Ford tractors on Super Majors and Dextas, some people say they work others say the valve works but not the lift. There are porting differences between the later valves and the older ones as you can see by the picture. Later valve from a Ford tractor is on the left.

The plate you show is used to correct those differences as far as I am aware.

It will not work on the Major or Power Major as they have a totally different lift. What you need for those tractors is either a second special valve chest with an extra lever or a McConnel valve as used on their hedge cutters that diverts the oil flow from the valve chest.

This is a US made one.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

SkidRoe
True Blue
Location: Tetenhall Wood, UK (was Thorndale, Ontario, Canada)

Re: DAR Solution?

Post by SkidRoe »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have read through most of the older posts on the factory fit valves. It has me intrigued how many different setups that have been developed. I am not really liking the idea of using the jack port, with flow only available when the lift is fully raised/blocked.

I was particularly interested in a solution that the user simonj came up with, but all of the pictures and links in his post no longer work. I have messaged him, but I have not received any info from him yet.

I have a pretty extensive hydraulics background, and I have a full machine shop at my disposal, so I would like to have a go at coming up with a porting block.

I am assuming that the full flow from the pump runs through the cover plate before going to the lift - is that a fair statement? If so, my thought was to run the full flow out to a separate DAR valve, then back to the porting block (for the lift) via a power beyond port on the DAR valve. Relief/return flow would flow through a 3rd hose from the DAR valve to the rear cover (ours is already drilled and tapped for this below the filler plug). I just need to determine the appropriate ports on the front cover plate to tap into.

Does anybody have this mapped out on a cover plate?

Thanks - SR
Fordsons: 22 F, 36 N, 50 E27N, 60 FPM Past: 60 Dexta, 61 SM
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600
Others: MH 30 & 44, Oliver Super 55, Bobcat 440b & 773