power major hydraulics

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
simonj
Not Quite Blue Yet

power major hydraulics

Post by simonj »

Hi - can anyone tell me if a super major hydraulic lift assembly can be fitted in place of the original assembly on a power major. I want to take advantage of the later design which (if I'm correct) will allow me to operate hydraulic implements independently from the lift arms. I particularly want this for my 3pt-link mounted finger bar hedge cutter.
Alternatively does anyone know of a after-market modification that can be added to facilitate a HP hydraulic feed that is independent of the manufactures control lever. Looking at Scottl post of 25/04/08 it seems from the pictures that he has something along those lines. Maybe there is a design out there that I can replicate.
In a similar vein is it possible to source an after-market raised PTO. Or the other item on my wish list is an auto hitch. I’ve seen several DIY designs but never had my camera with me. Can anyone recommend a simple design? , to me the hard part seems the locking mechanism.

Thanks

Looking to improve in a Major way

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The hydraulics from a Super will not fit on a Power Major or any of the earlier tractors. The whole system is different with different piping fitting in different places. If you want to upgrade to a Super hydraulic system you would need to fit the whole rear end as the castings are different.

The Power Major lift can be fitted to a Super rear end as the pump pressure pipe comes straight from the pump to the lift and with a special adaption, a right angle casting that fits on the pump, this can be achieved but not the other way round.

Most of the parts you ask about are out there but could be difficult to find. The best place to look is breakers but you have to be aware that the pickup hitch on a Major and Power Major is not the same as a Super Major. It is possible you do not have the mounting holes in the rear axle casting and these cannot be made as they were part of the housing itself.

The raised PTO is more likely but again you would need one for a Major not a Super Major as there were differences in the gearing on the later tractors. You would also need the complete shaft as it is not something that fits on the existing shaft.

Regarding hydraulic services, the Power Major had an extra lever and valve chest that bolted to the front of the existing one to give hydraulic power independent of the lift arms. This is not the same as the existing chest so you cannot just get a standard one and bolt on the front however, there are a number out there so its another trip to the breakers.

Another way would be a PTO or front engine mounted pump feeding a valve block to give you as many services as you want, live feed as long as the engine is running.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

simonj
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by simonj »

Thanks Brian, I thought the lift assembly swap might be a long shot but as a free SM assembly came into my hands I reckoned it worthwhile to ask.
Your suggestion of adding a another pump had crossed my mind, I saw one on the Grani post dated 08/05/08, but would prefer to mount it amidships in place of the belt pulley, this would have the advantage of being able to be disengaged easily using the pulley (dog) clutch. Plus not hinder a front hitch.
From reading previous posts it suggests the pump needs a gravity oil feed, is this the case? Because for simplicity I would prefer to tap into the existing reservoir in some way, with the return going back into the filler hole.

Thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If you want to use the rear axle oil you would have to drop any pump below the level to get a good feed so this would need some thought. You do realise that the belt pulley is a two speed one and the output of the pump would change with the High/Low ratio.

That is why the engine mounted pump is the better option.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

simonj
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by simonj »

Thanks Brian, no I didn’t realise the pulley is two speed, I’ll remember that when I run the saw bench next time. So it’s back to the drawing board. The extra lever and valve chest that bolt to the existing one seems my best option. Although I expect they are rarer than hens teeth.

Thanks again