Bonnet Centre Hinge Rubber Strip

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Timeee
True Blue

Bonnet Centre Hinge Rubber Strip

Post by Timeee »

Running down the gap between the two bonnet halves is a rubber strip (seal) that was fitted (presumably) to keep water etc from getting into the hinge. I just have a couple of short lengths (about 1 inch) of perished bits of rubber stuck in my Super Major's bonnet. These are too far gone to recognise the original profile of what the Parts List shows as Weatherstrip Bonnet Rubber, Part No E1ADKN 16991. I think it should be a "T" profile rubber seal, with possibly a "filler" strip running down its central spine to secure the seal into the gap between the two bonnet halves. Has anyone got the specification for this Weatherstrip, or a source/supplier who could/has provide(d) it?

Tim E

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: Bonnet Centre Hinge Rubber Strip

Post by BearCreek Majors »

hi Tim, I ordered some generic weather stripping out of McMaster Carr, I'll see if I can find the part #

Pat

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Thank you Pat

I live in Dorset, UK, so ideally, would like to source it reasonably locally, but any information such as seal profile would be welcomed.

Tim E

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

This is what I used,
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/3515/=12vbr2x

McMaster Carr's PN 93085K11, Style 12. If I remember correctly it was probably a little taller than it needed to be but as it is a hollow bulb it crushed down quite well. I'm thinking the original was a bulb as well, being the reason i went with this style, but it is rather difficult to determine what it originally looked like when all we have is crispy mashed pieces that are 60+ years old. I'm also thinking the 1/2" wide would have worked as well........ but that may just be my brain thinking of something else, between granny and grand kids I think I've been using up all accessible memory.

Mine has been in my Power Major/Selene for 3 years and still looks great.

Pat

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

OK, sense its raining and I'm being lazy tonight.... i went up in the barn, started digging around and found one bonnet that has what appears to be an original seal that is mostly all intact and is still soft and pliable. it looks to be just a flat strip with a rectangular profile of about 3/8" X 3/16" (this may have originally been 1/4" high). I Think the lip on the side (opposite the hinge pin) is just from being mashed in the channel, but......it may have had that lip on it from the factory as most all of them I looked at were similar. Definitely not a bulb style.

Pat

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Good stuff Pat

Yep, your final offering is looking similar to my 55 year old brittle remains (seal I mean). It appears that it has a soft crushable centre, surrounded by conventional rubber. Mine is compressed on one side, which I presume is due to the fact that the right hand side bonnet half is opened far more often than the left hand side for accessing engine fluid levels and maintenance on fuel filter and other stuff on the right hand side of the engine.

I have sent a sample length of my brittle remains, plus a link to your great photographs to a classic/vintage car seal/trim supplier here in UK to see if he has anything to match. We shall wait and see what he comes up with..........

Tim E

anthonygos
True Blue

Post by anthonygos »

If anyone does find out where to get it, please PM me am looking for it also....thanks.
Don't just leave it in the shed, Fordson's are made to work, so take it out and work it....!

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Hi All

The probable replacement is felt to be a simple, sealed sponge rubber weatherstrip of rectangular section. One presumes that Fordson would not be looking for a special profile (and therefore expensive) seal for the sole purpose of keeping dirt and damp out of the bonnet hinge aperture on a mass produced tractor . The difficult bit is estimating what the weatherstrip's dimensions were originally, as time has rather shrunk our 55-plus years old examples. It will be interesting to see how near we are to Pat's guestimate! I await the thoughts of the seal/trim supplier once he receives the example I have sent him and (for anthonygos and those others after the same seal) will report on the final specification that I think fits the bill (under this subject) on the Forum in due course.

Tim E