Bolt Size

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
58vintage
True Blue

Bolt Size

Post by 58vintage »

Afternoon all,

I've bought a tool box for my FPM. Could anyone tell me the size on the bolt needed for the threaded holes in the engine block it bolts to? Also are they UNF or UNC?
Thanks.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: Bolt Size

Post by BearCreek Majors »

I believe that is a 7/16-14.

Pat

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Wot Pat said :D a handy UNF / UNC demystifier can be found here

http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-standard.htm

Your colonial logical method of refering to dia and pitch for screws is not so common over here Pat, we tend to know from Fordson era Whit or BSF or Unified fine or coarse, BSP for pipe (which can be T(aper) or P(arallel) and BA for instrument sized screws, and we tend to think of them in head size although the wartime reduction of hex heads really messed spanner calibration up royally and in my view NOTHING spoils a restoration of older equipment more than using the WRONG SIZED HEADS - judges who award prizes without downmarking this should have their buttons cut off and be booed off the rally field :clap:

Metric has taken over badly, hopefully BREXIT will now allow us to return to sensible Imperial measurements again :wink: Metric coarse is everywhere, fine is fairly uncommon yet, there was never a metricated pipe thread and in this world of 'metricated' hi tech, every camera*, digital or not still has a nice Imperial, Whitworth thread poked up its bottom for the tripod to connect :eyes:

It must be the heat, I just love a little rant

Late breaking news, Bogside correspondent literally boils out of his own shorts..............
* before you say it, if it ain't got a tripod thread, whatever else it may be it ain't a camera !!
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

58vintage
True Blue

Post by 58vintage »

Many thanks gents.

Oehrick, talking of the former colonies I did wonder if given the UK BREXIT vote and their limited options for president, if they might decide to come back under the protection of the crown. With her most Royal Britanic Majesty appointing a governor for the Americas' again.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

That is an interesting option which on some other forums might promote a cotract being taken out :eyes: I may be wrong but as far as I can see the current candidates differ from previous elected presidents, in their natures having already been discovered - a bit like 'our' Boris :D

(now Pat has stopped reading, you do know we only let them think their Declaration of Independence has any validity ? its about as genuine as Maga Carta....)
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

58vintage
True Blue

Post by 58vintage »

Joking aside is genuinely interesting what's happening in the US. I have quite a few American close family friends who some would vote democrat others republican. The amazing thing some of them tell me is that they are voting for trump. Not because they think he's a good idea they actually really dislike him, but voting for him is the only way they can tell Washington that they are fed-up of being ignored and they better sort things out.

Anywho picked up some 7/16 UNC and they fit a treat.

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

I had trouble sourcing a UNF nut to replace the original I had to cut off that holds my Dexta seat on. After a fruitless search around local outlets I searched the internet. The problem I found is that the postage is a killer and it can really make the unit cost prohibitive, especially for one nut. This firm in Hove are pretty good http://www.namrick.co.uk/ and I got a couple of nuts for £4 which is still pricey but they did the job and arrived the next day. The site is actually quite interesting for a wander over.

Cheers

DWD

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

I generally try to keep my political views to myself, as the saying goes, if you don't have anything good to say........
My thoughts at the moment are simply embarrassment, I cannot believe these two douche bags are our front running presidential candidates. I don't know if this country is primarily inhabited by idiots, or if the candidates money and the media has everyone convinced we should vote for them.

For the past few years we put out several of the Majors in the yard over the 4th of July holiday, our Independence day. we get quite a few gawkers and a lots of great comments but I doubt that many of them get the irony of my English tractors displayed for independence day. :shock:

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Dear Pat
A graceful comment.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

I suspect the problem in most countries is the balance of votes is held by the urban populations, who are about as remote from real life as I am from becoming a ballet dancer and seem to believe any rubbish drip fed to them through the media, which is controlled by those holding the real balance of power :( It's only conspiracy theory when untrue.............

Didn't know about the Hove suppliers DWD, useful link, thanks and yes, 'aint nuts and bolts a wicked price these days :(:D

Pat, like the ironic line up of old iron, of course old Henry was an english man - came from Ireland, another subjugated British 'posession' at the time - glad all that is sorted out now :eyes: were there ever any 'native american' tractors made ?? not heard of one but as I only ever read The Hoople Herald from the University of Northern South Dakota for any news of new discoveries of PDQ Bach music by that Peter Schikele :clap: its not surprising. Oh and tell the young'un thats the best selfie I ever saw :thumbs: however did he take it ??
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

This Country may be governed by its government, but its people are governed by its media.

Pat