Best primer for Tractol Empire Blue Enamel

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
spannerman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Best primer for Tractol Empire Blue Enamel

Post by spannerman »

Hi, purchased some Tractol Empire blue enamel paint, temped to use a standard red oxide primer , thinned as nec for spray application, has anyone gone down this route , would like some advise please. Would not be repainting at all but prev owner has hand painted so nothing to loose there , need to tidy up some areas, many thanks.
Kind Regards Andy 1956 E1A S/N 1400305

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Best primer for Tractol Empire Blue Enamel

Post by Brian »

Used Red Oxide myself with good results and have also used grey primer again with good results.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Likewise, although not always with Tractol, absolute cleanliness (Ihave used Hammerite Kurust where blast cleaning not an option, then primer) and grease / oil removal is more important, I always spoil it due to impatience and either too thick a coat or not enough time between coats :x
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

spannerman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by spannerman »

Many thanks for the guidance , need to strip off old hand paint if im to get any result with this one!, think I will see the chap down the road who does blasting, by the way Rick on the subject of some of the older folk pushing bikes around Dads friend Ben was always seen to be pushing his old bike around and I can remember always seeing him in high leather gaiters he really was old school , must mention that to my mum , she likes talking old days .
Kind Regards Andy 1956 E1A S/N 1400305

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Sounds like you should get her a bike Andy :)
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The leather gaiters were called "buskins" here. Father wore them with the hob nail boots.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

I've heard buskins too Brian, just checked to see if it was general or a Norfolk dialect word and find buskin boots go back to the ancient Greeks and buskin leggings more recent - we have a girl in the village who goes busking with her guitar in that there Norridge but she wears striped socks........

Boiling of Bogside waiting for a breeze
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure