Rear Crankshaft Seal replacement

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Rear Crankshaft Seal replacement

Post by Dietmar »

I have the Engine removed and like to change the aft crankshaft rope seal. I know that the upper rope can be changed without loosening the crankshaft. But can I do the lower without removing the oil pan? Maybe by make it loose aft?
I do not like to redo the front as the threads attaching the front plate are weak already.

Best regards

Dietmar

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

You can not change the lower half without removing the oilpan. If You only loose it a bit You ruin the gasket. I am curious to se if Brian has some woodoo trick for this. :wink:
When one half is in place the ends shall protrude 0,5 mm, same with the other half.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No, Some people will say there is a special tool that you can use to force the seal out and a new one in but I have never seen one. As far as I am concerned you have to remove the sump to do it.

The new seal has to be soaked in oil for a couple of days, then tapped carefully into place leaving about 2mm proud of the sump surface.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Brian wrote:No, Some people will say there is a special tool that you can use to force the seal out and a new one in but I have never seen one. As far as I am concerned you have to remove the sump to do it.

The new seal has to be soaked in oil for a couple of days, then tapped carefully into place leaving about 2mm proud of the sump surface.
As I don´t have the experiance that Brian has I just have to trust the instructions, and to prove I am not completely wrong, here is a clip from the book.

If the crankshaft
rear oil seal packing requires renewal only the current,
graphite coated, packing should be used. Whereas
the previous packing required soaking in oil, this is
not necessary with the current part, the running
surface of the packing of the seal should however be
lightly oiled.
The current type seal should be trimmed to give a
protrusion of 0.015 to 0.025 in. (0.38 to 0.64 mm.)

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No problem with that at all Grani, I checked the Major book rather than the Super Book. We still oiled them well before fitting.

We did leave longer ends than in the book though. The seal always seemed to shrink and after a few years the seal seemed to drop below the sump surface and leave a gap.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian