FMD: My 54 :Pix

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Tmac
True Blue

FMD: My 54 :Pix

Post by Tmac »

54 FMD runs but has cracked liner#4, gets hot after some use. Pretty much looks as found 15 years ago. Touched up the paint with some Rustoleum a couple of times. Have the hood and the sheet metal is in decent shape. Has a loader too but still looking for a decent set of cyls for this one. This tractor is 400 miles from my farm.

54 FMD

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

It's in pretty good shape.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

JC

Post by JC »

Not a bad looking old Major. It would be really handy with the loader on it. Its not any of my business, but how did it end up 400 miles away from where you need it?

Tmac
True Blue

Post by Tmac »

Henk
The hood is in great shape. I took it off when I was using the loader. I had guys working for me that would tip the bucket to far back with gravel in it. So I took the hood off to keep rocks of it, I put a piece of plywood over the engine to keep them off that. It is hard to find ANY tractor in the PNW that doesn't have rusted out sheet metal. This one for being 54 years old is in great original shape.

I have had this tractor since the early 90s.
I bought it for $275. with a 6 brush hog and the loader. My first Fordson. My Dad had a low opinion of it, he thought all Fordsons were not good.

When I hauled it home rolled it off the trailer and brush hogged about 200 acres of weeds/grass that season. Without much problems.

The clutch would slip using the loader and got hot. So I have replaced the 3 face Feramic clutch disc. Now that disc was expensive $175 in the early 90s, but that is what was in it.

I fixed the liner by brazing the crack in situ. I used a Hi-flow high strength alloy. That fix worked till a couple of years ago. Now it needs a real repair, and rings. Other wise runs good, with 30/40 lbs oil pres.

JC
That tractor just didn't get moved to my farm when I moved. I used to have another farm where it is near now. I leave it at my brothers place as it still gets used where it is at now. But will be moving it sometime. I will put it in shape when at my farm then. Loader needs work too.

JC wrote:Not a bad looking old Major. It would be really handy with the loader on it. Its not any of my business, but how did it end up 400 miles away from where you need it?