Rev Counter Drive Gearbox Power/Super Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Timeee
True Blue

Rev Counter Drive Gearbox Power/Super Major

Post by Timeee »

Known in the Parts List as Gear (Tachometer) Assy, Part no E1ADKN - 17373C, the listing for tractors is quite confusing. Even more so is trying to obtain an original pattern drive gearbox (the one that is driven off the FIP drive shaft on Majors with rev counter up under the steering wheel and up to the introduction of those with the Minimec mechanically governed FIPs). I have tried to rebuild a number of old ones, with limited success, as they all suffer from similar failures (bearings worn out). A parts dealer from the Midlands advertises an original looking replacement on fleabay, but on the 2 occasions over the last 18 months that I have ordered one, he has never been able to produce the item. (despite the listing stating 3 or so available) I have then spent months trying to get my money back.
I finally gave up and bought the pattern part from a well known dealer at the Newbury Show recently. Firstly you have to shorten the two 1/4in UNC fixing screws to fit the thing. One is be longer than the other. The design of the casing is such that you cannot get a ring spanner, or socket onto the head of the bolts properly to screw the rev counter gearbox down securely. Then, to my disgust, I found that my (new) rev counter cable did not reach far enough into the new rev counter drive gearbox to engage into the driven shaft.

As Brian has stated so many times, why are we at the mercy of these idiots who make these pattern parts that don't fit, or work correctly. The only solution I can see is to cut about 8mm off the threaded end of the "crappern" rev counter drive, so that my inner cable will reach the driven part. Complaints to the manufacturer only seem to get the response; "We've sold loads of these and no-one else has complained". Anyone come across a source for the correct rev counter drive gearbox, I still need one for my Aug 1960 Super Major.

Tim E

SkidRoe
True Blue
Location: Tetenhall Wood, UK (was Thorndale, Ontario, Canada)

Re: Rev Counter Drive Gearbox Power/Super Major

Post by SkidRoe »

I don't have any suggestions, but I can sympathize.

I have heard the same "no one else has complained" line before with parts that I have purchased for my old British motorcycles.

My other favorite lines are "most enthusiasts enjoy a bit of fettling to make their parts fit" and "you must dry assemble the entire machine before committing to final assembly".

There is no excuse for shoddy workmanship, especially at the prices that most outfits are charging.

Cheers - SR
Fordsons: 22 F, 36 N, 50 E27N, 60 FPM Past: 60 Dexta, 61 SM
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600
Others: MH 30 & 44, Oliver Super 55, Bobcat 440b & 773

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Sounds like we should start a 'name and shame' page on the forum with specific parts from specific suppliers and how they were deficient, at least it would help others not to fall into the same trap.

Lest any of the Admin team consider this idea with dread, it is only libel if it is untrue :clap:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

I have got a bit further with trying to sort out the "crappern" Rev Counter Drive. I finally got hold of the dealer who sold me the part and he said that some gearboxes were not well made (yeh really?) and the solution was to cut about 10mm off the threaded end of the gearbox output, to allow the cable to reach the drive. He didn't elaborate on what effect this would have on the durability and life of the rev counter gearbox, but offered to replace if it still didn't work after I had set about it with my hacksaw. I declined to take this approach.

I have now obtained a replacement rev counter drive from Dunlop Tractor Spares in N Ireland. Not identical to that originally fitted to the tractor by Fordson, but it came with a gasket. It fits the rev counter cable correctly to give drive through to the rev counter clock. Yes, just over twice the price of the first thing I bought, but it works. The delivery was really prompt (ordered Thursday mid morning, arrived in the post mid morning Friday Well done Dunlop Tractor Spares.

Tim E