Stiff steering in reverse

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Millwall Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Stiff steering in reverse

Post by Millwall Paul »

My Granddad has a 62 Super Major which I have the dubious pleasure of having to look after / maintain as I am the only one that is allowed to use it as he is getting on a bit - he's 91. Recently I have noticed that the steering is very heavy, almost stiff if i need to turn to the right. It is the same if I am driving at low or high speed and doesn't seem to matter if the loader is full or empty. I was using it yesterday to clear some hardcore and also notice that it seems to be getting even stiffer on the steering. I also noticed that it is hard to steer in reverse. It is quite significantly heavier on the steering in revers than going forward. I have checked the tyre pressures at the front and they are fine - it has the standard cast iron rims with 3 groove tyres on. I know the wheel bearings are good as I changed them recently and have checked them since. The steering box was completely overhauled by myself about 2 years ago and when the front is lifted the steering seems fine. I am guessing that it'll probably be related to the bushes and bearings at the front as well as the king pins. Has anyone experienced this problem previously? I have very little knowledge of tractors but am reasonably competent with tools. Is there anything that I should be checking before I dismantle the front axle to check everything more thoroughly?

Paul

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Stiff steering in reverse

Post by Brian »

Would suspect that the thrusts on the stub axles are your problem. I do not have a loader on my E1ADKN but the steering is as light as a power assisted tractor. You could try jacking the front wheels up and pumping plenty of grease into the stub axles, otherwise drop them out and see what you find. Thrusts are at the bottom of the stub axle.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi i would go with brians idears also just what pressure are you running i have 45 in mine and the pins on the tie rod ends wear does not worry going ford but back it allows a lot of toe out and that jams the steering
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

Millwall Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Millwall Paul »

Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling that my Granddad normally puts 25 psi in the fronts. I'll have to try pumping them up more when he's not around otherwise he'll moan. I thought that it might be the bearings and bushes for the kingpins. I know the pins that hold both the front wheels parallel are quite worn on the left side, the pin moves very freely as is the steering arm on that side due to wear on the arm and the kingpin. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and pull the whole lot apart and change the bushes, bearings, at least one kingpin and the pins that hold the wheels parallel. Ahh well it sounds like a reasonable job for winter as I can do it in the shed. It keeps me out of mischief anyway.