She doesn't wobble any more, but......

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Huzey
True Blue

She doesn't wobble any more, but......

Post by Huzey »

Hi all.
Just changed the king pin bushes and bearings, 1 wheel bearing kit and the tie rod pins and bushes on my 1955 FMD, and I can now drive in top gear on the road without the dreaded steering wobble. :D
Now I am a little concerned about the lack of power in top gear. I would have thought it should pull well up an incline in top gear without the power dropping off and a bit of smoke and having to change down. I have given it a good service, including new fuel filter housing and filter, new air inlet pipe and a good clean of the air filter and fresh oil etc.
The injection pump timing is spot on to the manual. The other thing I noticed while road testing is a slow uptake of power in top, i.e. it seems to pick up very slowly, almost as if the governor is having trouble moving the injection pump rack.
So, do you reckon it is time for an injection pump test and overhaul the injectors? Knowing the tractors history, I would be suprised if it has had any maintainance in that department in the last 30 years.
Look forwar to hearing what you all think.
Regards Huzey.

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Hi Huzey,

So what you are saying is...
a) 3rd gear High seems to not really be the gear for steep inclines ?
b) 3rd gear High seems to need to 'wind itself up' to speed ?

Guess what? You've just described my '56 FMD ! :shock:
Engine seems fine. Brian has heard it twice, 12 months between each occasion and thought it sounded 'normal'.
So, I've always assumed that it was typical performance and that 3rd High was more for 'transportation' purposes.

I will watch the replies to this one with interest. :?

Mike

Huzey
True Blue

Post by Huzey »

Thanks for the reply Mike.
Maybe I am just expecting too much from the old girl, but I just thought it wasn't performing as it should, but if you are experiencing the same, then maybe you are right and that is how it is.
I might get the injectors overhauled just out of interest, and when I can afford it, get the pump put on a test rig just to make sure.
I am pleased that I can now run in top gear and feel the wind in my hair, and the bugs on my teeth, and not be overtaken by pedestrians, cyclists, oap's in their battery powered scooter things, snails, tortoise,....... :lol:
Regards Huzey

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Huzey,

On the road, my 57 major takes off smoothly in third gear high. The engine has a bit of high idle rpm’s. It fall’s back and gives a bit of smoke when releasing the coupling, but climes rapidly higher. Between 1800 and 2000 rpm’s it will respond rapidly. (I know that’s to high) I don’t know how it will act pulling a load. Third gear low is faster than second gear high. I think the sixth gear is only for transport. When pulling a load I would try to shift between third low and high. Going back on that way is much easier as going from third high to the second high. The gear box is not developed for shifting on the go.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Huzey
True Blue

Post by Huzey »

Thanks for the reply Henk.
I usualy start off in 3rd low and then shift up to 3rd high after a few yards, and then it pulls steadily increasing revs as the speed builds up.
Only other problem I have found is now I can run in top gear and go a bit faster, one of the rear tyres is not seated correctly and a lovely bounce occurs, the faster you go.
It is all sent to try us!
Huzey.

henk

Post by henk »

Huzey,

The wobbling could be because your tires are axial and not radial. Mine are wobbling to when the tractor stood still for a week or so. After a few miles it's gone. Now it's standing from about the end of September, so I will be bouncing to next time I’ll drive it. The best would be to get of the ground with the tyres
Kind regards, Henk

Constant
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Constant »

Hi everybody,
this is my first post since the new board, but I read it very often (in fact almost everyday...).
When I was between 12 and 18, we use to have 2 majors in my father farm ( 52 with power major diesel and 56 with super major engine ). I drove a lot those tractors with heavy loads ( 6 tons of grain or 7-8 tons muck..) Usually, we were starting in 2d high, and then shifting to 3d low and finally 3d high. The way to shift was what is called "double débrayage" (sorry for this french word). It was not easy when beginning, but quite efficient. The most difficult (and dangerous) thing with those tractors was braking, as with that kind of load, the brakes were not very efficient...
I'am in a totally different business, but my two jongest brothers are farmers, and they still own the 56 major (in running condition).
I personally have a small collection with tractors I have restored: Ford 8nan, Ford nab, Fordson Dexta and a Super Major. I recently bought a six cylinder major in poor condition (water in oil), and I'm going to graft the engine ( after rebuild) in a power major chassis that I own from 3 years with a broken engine.
Have a good day.

Huzey
True Blue

Post by Huzey »

Hi Constant and welcome to the forum.
I wonder if double debrayage is what we call double declutching? Had to do a lot of that on my Heavy Goods Vehicle driving test!
Sounds like you have a fair collection of tractors. Would be good to see some pictures, and your project 6 cylinder sounds interesting.
Regards Huzey. :D

henk

Post by henk »

Welcome to the board Constant,

Nice to have a southern neighbour with us. That makes two from Belgium.
I think the years from your Power and Super are not correct.
52 should be a New Major Mark I, 56 should be a New Major Mark I or II. Or you have put other engines in front of the tractors.

Huzey
"double débrayage" is the same as double declutching.
Kind regards, Henk

Constant
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Constant »

Hi Henk and Huzey and...
Henk, you're right: the2 had initially a petrol/kérosène engine and was swap later to a Power Major engine, and the 56 had initially probably a Mark I changed later (around 64) to a Super Major engine...
Huzey, I will try to understand how to post pictures of my babies.

Constant
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Constant »

Sorry, you should read that the 52 had initially a petrol/kero engine...

henk

Post by henk »

Constant,

I was wrong. The 56 can only be a Mark I because april 57 the Mark II was launced.
Kind regards, Henk

Constant
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Constant »

I Huzey,
I don't know if that link will work, but I put there some pictures of my tractors...
www.flickr.com/photos/35035338@N08/
Hope it works. :?:
Best regards,
Constant

henk

Post by henk »

Hello Constant,

Seems you have a Super after all.
Looks great.
Kind regards, Henk

Huzey
True Blue

Post by Huzey »

Hi Constant
Lovely fleet of tractors you have there.
I am quite jealous :D
Regards Huzey
I started off with nothing, and have still got most of it left!