Steering box oil

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Steering box oil

Post by NT »

Hi, just want to start by saying what a great site you guys have going here. Just jam packed full of info. I recently picked up a 58 fordson new major from a friend. Didnt run when i got it found to have 2 injectors plugged. While im waiting to get those back i was working on replacing the fluid in it. Wanted to top off the steering box as well but cant tell where to fill it and my I&T manual just says to fill with 90w. I see a bolt that doesnt look like it would hold anything on the left side toward the top of the box but wasnt sure if thats it. Where do i fill it at. Thanks for any help.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello NT,

Welcome to the board.
Your right with every thing. The bold is covering a small gap to fill the house. Use a pump oilcan to fill it up. Use thick oil because it will slowly leak out of the house. An empty steering house is a common thing on a major.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by NT »

Thanks thats what i needed to here. Just finally got to read it today cause its the first time ive had power in a week due to a great ice storm. Also on this 58 new major i have a question about the return lines on the injectors. Are they suposed to have copper sealing washers between line and injector and between the line and the bolt head. I didnt think it was suposed to looking at what the book shows. And i didnt know for sure because when i got it the injectors where already out. I was pretty set on thinking it didnt use them but when i talked to the diesel injection place yesterday about getting my injectors back he said they where on the way and that he sent new injector to head washers and return line washers. So now i have no idea if it should have them or not. I noticed the oil pressure line of the block to feed the gauge had the same kind of fitting as the injector return lines and it doesnt have any washers. Thanks again

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There are no copper washers on the leak off pipe banjo fitting normally. If you put some on it will not be a problem though.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by NT »

Alright thanks. I'll probably just leave them off and if it looks like it wants to leak then they'll go on. Glad you guys know alot about these tractors, cause the book doesnt go into alot of detail on some of the stuff.