Australian serial numbers

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
benno510
Not Quite Blue Yet

Australian serial numbers

Post by benno510 »

Hi all.

Can anyone please decode the Australian fordson serial numbers as stamped on the id plate. I figure the date is obvious but unsure how to understand the rest. My power major plate is as follows.
5 B M.1.60 2767 A529

It has a number stamped on below the fuel lift pump on the chassis rail which is V007004P
Below number 1 injector on the horizontal surface is stamped V007003P.

The engine number is stamped above starter motor and is 1524778 indicating a built date of September 1959.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks Ben

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Australian serial numbers

Post by Brian »

The BM stands for Broad Meadow Ford plant where the tractor was "Australianised"

The numbers are Australian numbers and I do not have any information on them but your dating is about right. Built in England in 1959 September, then a couple of months shipping to Broad Meadow, dated 1960 for Australian records.

Barry M might have more information.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: Australian serial numbers

Post by BarryM »

The numbers V007004P and V007003P have been stamped on the tractor by the Victorian Police. The tractor has been taken to a Police Station for a Registration and Victoria Police would never accept the fact that there was no such thing as a Chassis Number on the Fordson, so gave it one. They obviously couldn't find the Engine Number and seeing a blank space on the Block have give it a new number.
BarryM