Fordson new performance super major lift pump

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Crawlerlad
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson new performance super major lift pump

Post by Crawlerlad »

hello, is there anyone on here that can tell me what the hell I have done to my beloved tractor. It always took a lot off turning over to get diesel up to start and my dad told me that it could be the lift pump so I got another lift pump, fitted it and started the tractor, it started up more or less straight away but it sounded like a bag off nails and then stopped, so I have took the lift pump back off and the lever was wedged in between the side off the block and the cam shaft, I then took the starter motor off and tried to turn it on the ring gear clock wise it wouldn't move, I then turned it anti-clockwise, it went back but it wouldn't do a full revolution. What have I done is something bent and what would it take to put it right

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: Fordson new performance super major lift pump

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

When you removed the lift pump, was the lever that engages with the camshaft lobes intact?
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

Crawlerlad
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Crawlerlad »

Hi thanks for your reply, the lift pump lever was intact when we got it out but it seemed to be stuck in between the block wall and the camshaft and when we got it off it worked perfect after

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

With the lift pump removed what do you see when you look through the aperture in the block?
Try rotating the engine as far as you can, observing the cam lobe and follower as you go. [Not sure, but the follower should be visible if you point your torch upwards.]
Sorry for the questions. Just trying to gather info.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If you jammed the cam shaft you may have broken the cam shaft drive gear in the timing cover. If thinks got really bad, No.3 big end can strike the camshaft lobe that operates the pump and stop the engine dead. It will allow you to turn 1/2 turn each way and then stop.

As Adrian says, check what is moving through the fuel pump hole.

You may also have encountered the "Land of Nearly Right Quality" who supposedly make aftermarket parts for our tractors.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Brian
With the camshaft wedged and breakage happening in the timing case, does the timing gear itself fracture, or does the woodruff key shear?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

When it happens the camshaft snaps. Very rare failure on the single bolt fixing cam shaft in the NP tractors but happened a few times on the three bolt fixing ones. Usually bolts and dowels sheared.

Hard to know what has gone on here, if the pump operating lever was jammed against the block, anything could have happened up front.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

I do wonder why no one has asked if the cam lever of the new pump is the same length as the old one. Obviously a longer lever may well be the problem.
Pavel

Crawlerlad
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Crawlerlad »

Hello, I have since stripped my tractor down and found that it had dropped both valves on number 4 and it was just a coincidence that it happened after I fitted a new lift pump, I am getting the original head repaired and the people who are doing it have asked me for the valve protrusion figure has anybody on here got the figure or a workshop manual with it in please as they cannot repair the head until they have it, kind regards tom