Got the 58 Backhoe Running

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
oregondave
Not Quite Blue Yet

Got the 58 Backhoe Running

Post by oregondave »

Hey everyone,

With Brian and Bob's help I was able to get the 58 Fordson Backhoe work running! Here is a few videos (sorry bad camera angle) of when I first got it started

I got it working by putting some injection cleaner in and then starting it with ether for about 30-45 seconds then getting it to run off of diesel without touching the throttle (because it would die) After about 15 minutes I was able to throttle it up and down.

One of them I am testing it revving down,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0vjlr ... sp=sharing

the other one, is when I just got it started
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0vjl ... VFnRUkzbm8

Then, I was able to get it to run with the air filter going through the oil (It really did NOT like doing that) (not in video). Then I was able to cool it off so I could put the muffler on (not in video).

It runs on its own now with the muffler/exhaust and air oil filter, but not nearly as much throttle range if the air filter is off. It really does not like sucking air through the oil. Is that a problem? Also it won't start without a little bit of starter fluid. At some point, I want to learn how to get the Fordson to run really nice without any starter fluid or smoke.

So now that I got it working, I then tested the backhoe. All hydraulic work.

The only issue I have now is no power steering. I am able to turn right, but not left. I previous did not have fluid in there. I put fluid in a while back but never tested it. I tried to turn it all the way Left then Right and back again a few times to see if it would cough up a hairball and just work, Nope. So I then used the loader to lift the tractor up, and yes, it steers really nice with no load on it both left and right -- there appears to be some power assist with the steering wheel from the power steering system. There are some small leaks throught the power steering system.

The power steering looks custom? I have not seen anyone's else fordson with power steering -- am I wrong, is this a factory power steering setup? I will post some pictures of the power steering next.

My friend said that the backhoe might not suppose to steer while not moving. But I think it should steer somewhat or a little not moving, like I said, it does go Right, but not left.
There's enough fluid in the power steering, and a small leak around the lid. I can see that it builds up pressure because there's a small leak on the gasket where a small amount is coming out.

The power steering hydraulic cylinder also had a leak on the piston rod, but it appears to have gone away. There was white fluid on the piston rod, then it went away. The two inlets also have a small leak also. The leaks seem to be so small, it doesn't explain the total lack of power to me, but I don't know how power steering work or how it gets fixed? I imagine the pump needs to be rebuilt?

Any idea how I can begin the process of fixing the power steering?
Any suggestions how I can get the motor to run really great (with no starter fluid, and little smoke?)

Thanks again. Technically, because I can turn the wheels after using the loader to lift the frontend, I can use it on my Shark (Finally! after $3000USD and a year of working on it!) but it will be a hassle. I will post more pictures and video this week.

pictures

oregondave
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Got the 58 Backhoe Running

Post by oregondave »

so what I've found so far is that it is a Sherman Power Steering kit. I need to flush my system to clean all the white power steering fluid out to get rid of all the water, and bleed for air bubbles. I'm going to try doing this flush and temporarily using rescue tape for the leaking fittings. There is also no filter installed. I must replace the gasket on the reservoir. I could have the hoses replaced at the local auto parts store. Does this sound about right? If I continue to have problems then check the pump gaskets, or get a new gasket kit, and use a thickness gauge on the inside. And on the hydraulics -- do they still make repair fittings kits for this hydraulic cylinder? How do I source a 1950s Sherman Hydraulic piston replacement kit if it comes to that?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Nice you got it running again. A piece of history saved for the future!
oregondave wrote: And on the hydraulics -- do they still make repair fittings kits for this hydraulic cylinder? How do I source a 1950s Sherman Hydraulic piston replacement kit if it comes to that?
I think the best way is to bring the piston to a shop so they can measure it and look for the parts that will fit.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

oregondave
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oregondave »

Mathlas1, thanks, I will call around.

Yesterday I took the air filter and gave it a alcohol bath. Then I scrubbed everything down really good and wire brushed it and rinsed it off. I accidentally created a pin hole in the oil pan. Perhaps it was already there and I itched off the epoxy from a previous repair?

I also took the power steering reservoir lid off, and took it to the tractor guys and they made me a new o-ring because it was leaking around the sides. Today I some rescue tape that I will temporarily put onto the power steering hoses, until I get them repaired. But for now, I am just trying to prevent dripping diesel and power steering fluid all over my grow area. I found a leak in the fuel system, and there's a leak in the gas tank.

That gas tank looks like its really install on there. Do I have to take the steering wheel off to uninstall the tank?

Also today I will retard the timing to see if that helps it run any better.

Oh also I covered all areas I cleaned up with chain oil to prevent rust until I can buy the right paint. Is this the same color as the Fordson blue? Ford Empire Blue?

Amazon: TP360SP Six (6) Cans of Ford Empire Blue Spray Paint 600 700 800 900 8N 9N NAA +
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-600-700-800 ... pray+Paint

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Any chance of some photos of the backhoe and the front axle set up.
Thanks.

guduell
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by guduell »

I have never got loose a steering wheel. But my friend has. He loosened the bolt, or what it is called, in the middle a bit. After about two years the wheel was lose. ☺️
1958 Major
1953-59 mix with backhoe Hymas type 3 (project)
1961Selene 4wd (project)