Water in engine oil

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
stephen bendall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Water in engine oil

Post by stephen bendall »

We have just had new liners fitted into the block of our major scraper tractor,although fitted in with heamatite red,the problem has returned, the man who did the work doubts if the water is going past the repairs, any ideas and anwsers please
stephen bendall

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Hi Stephen and welcome to the site.

So, you were showing water in the oil, got somebody to fit new liners but, having done that, you still show water in the oil ?
the man who did the work doubts if the water is going past the repairs
Ooh! What a dangerous statement to make :oops:
If he's right, then he did not 'repair' the problem in the first place.
If he's wrong, well, someone's just 'shot themselves in the foot' in my book :roll:

There are a few possibilities here that need to be worked through but, here's a few more questions for us all to start with.

a) Major, what year/serial number ? (just for interest)
b) Water in the oil but, any oil in the water ? (radiator)
c) Only new liners or any other work ?
d) Red Hermatite, semi-setting gasket sealant. Supposed to be used as a thin smear. How was it used to seal the liners ?
e) When the liners were out, was the block checked for cracks etc ?
f) Were new seals fitted to the liners ?
g) Were the sealing grooves in the block, for the seals corroded or cracked away and, if so, how were they built up ?
h) Is the top of the block flat, or distorted ?
i) Cylinder head properly tourqued down so that new head gasket not leaking ?
j) Cylinder head flat and not cracked ?

The more infromation and symptoms you can give, the quicker and easier the guys will diagnose the problem.
One thing is sure, I'm afraid, you've got some dismanteling to do.

Mike

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Hi Stephen
One more question to add to Mike's. Did the old liners have any corrosion holes in them?

stephen bendall
Not Quite Blue Yet

water in engine oil

Post by stephen bendall »

thanks for the replies to my post 1)serial no.1549405 according to the number on the block,and the registration document 2) the man who put in the new liners said to use some ironised heavy duty block sealer to see if that cures the problem,we did this friday, and could see no oil in the water,i dont think any of you are going to be impressed with the block sealer, but it would help if we can keep the tractor going until turnout as we have to scrape a building our 4000 wont go under 3) liners, pistons, rings, valves, block and head machining also block was acid bathed, resprayed in empire blue, also new shells and main bearings,crnkshaft polished 020 bearings used but could have possibly taken 030 4)hermatite application was very generous but i thought no more about it as we had been told we could put fibre glass hardener around the base of the liners 5)no 2 liner grooves were corroded our man talked about using lead but i dont think this was done ,if grooves need to be re built ,how? and best by whom? 6)we have changed the head gasket as first port of call ,now the block sealer ,when we first stripped down no 2 liner just came out ,on this occasion we didnt find any corrosion holes in any liner last time 1995/6 i think no 2 had the liner hole many thanks stephen
stephen bendall