ball joint removal - drag link

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

ball joint removal - drag link

Post by mathias1 »

Hello,

I'm looking to renew the ball joints stud of the draglink. I just can't see how to remove these. Anyone ideas?
many aftermarket suppliers deliver these studs seperately: http://www.anglo-agriparts.com/fordson- ... jor-a67647

thanks!

Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: ball joint removal - drag link

Post by Brian »

The ball ends are not replaceable, you have to buy the complete drag link. Bit of a waste and never understood why they never put removable ends on the Super Major. They had to on the Dexta because of the wheel setting when they were extended but it would have been handy on the Major too.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
Just to add a little to what Brian said, Those ball joint parts that are shown in the link are for the first few models of Major like E27N up to the last power majors as they had drag links from the steering box down to the axle, that had components you could adjust for wear or take apart with screw threads to put repair parts in.

The issue is some aftermarket guys list these parts as fitting all majors when they don't as some parts changed on the different models when they were built. I have also seen reproduction parts made from a part that was the wrong one for the tractor the suppliers copied it from. That happened for a linkage part they sold for the new major and supers. The part they copied came from an older E27N that had been swapped at some point onto a newer series tractor. Half the part was right for the new and power majors, but none of it was right compared to the original super major part. Yes it would fit as many have been swapped during the tractors working life. But it was wrong to anybody that knows how the tractors should be if restoring it to factory condition.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

As Super6954 said, you have to be very careful when ordering from after-market suppliers although, in their defence, the part you are looking at is on the Fordson Major page not the Super Major page of the parts book.

Henk had some problems a few years ago with stub axles, they were sold for a E1A Major but were actually made for an E27N Major which had different spline and clamp bolt positions.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Brian.
When I followed the link mathias posted I clicked on the models next to the description title box. it says Major and Super Major there. I wonder if thats how the confusion comes around on that site as to what these parts fit :idea: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

I think the New Major has a drag line were the ball joint can be removed and a new one can be fit in. The tube has screws at the end that can be turned out and in. So the part at the picture
can be used. The Super has the drag line as seen on the picture in this post. I think the must be welded, but then what about the rubber sealing.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

I was able to remove the pin by heating it up. By hitting it with the hammer the cover did come out.
Anyway I bought a complete draglink, as it's easier to find the different pieces and it will be safer on the road.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch