Fordson super major lacking horse power

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
dromonedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson super major lacking horse power

Post by dromonedog »

I have 150 hours on a complete over hauled engine in a Fordson super major and recently hooked it up to a pto Dyno to find out it is only puttting out 35hp. I have rechecked the valve stttings, timing is set at 21degrees. This engine had new liner kits, new cam shaft, new rod and main bearings, head rebuilt by engine shop, rebuilt fuel pump and injectors. I have checked it on two separate Dynos with the same results. Anyone got any ideas

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Fordson super major lacking horse power

Post by Brian »

Were the 150 hours done on hard work? It is possible the engine is not yet bedded in. Fords would not look at any warranty on a low powered unit until it had done between 300 and 500 hours hard work.

Your engine should be between 50 and 55 hp depending on the model but that is ENGINE hp measured at flywheel. On the dyno you are measuring PTO hp and you must expect losses from the additional items like dynamo and gearbox. You should expect at least a 10 to 15 percent drop at the PTO.

She is still a bit low at 35 hp but with a new engine and the transmission losses I would expect it to rise a bit after the engine is run in.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hard work means something like this (see first photo).
Once you've done a couple of hours running doing your diagnostics, it's time for tough love.
Thing is, though, that's what a diesel engine needs.
You might want to use some Morris running-in oil. I did.
Maximum PTO HP for the NP Super is 47HP (42HP at 540 RPM). It will be slightly less for the Super due to different gearing/revs.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

https://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/prod ... n-oil.html

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Sorry for the loss of the images.
Photobucket has just changed it terms and now requires payment to link images to other sites.
Looks like I and many others will be looking for a new photo upload website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Using the site Mathias recommended.
Thanks again, Mathias.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/gw70v7m6 ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/7gb7m5eg ... .jpg[/img][/url]

dromonedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dromonedog »

Thanks guys for the info. I tractor pull with this one and have run it under load on the dyne several times. Do believe she is well broken in, it runs really good under load and I even turned up the setting on the pump a couple of turns. I would be happy to get 47hp but down at least 20%.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

I really can't see where you've gone wrong.
Brian's advice explains the issue.
You need sustained hard work to bed the engine in.
By the way, a photo or two would be rather welcome! :-D
Bit of a contentious issue at the moment! :run:

dromonedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dromonedog »

I have since checked the cam lift and I got a reading of 0.305 and according to the service manual that measurement is for an older series engine, this one is suppose to be 0.255. Not sure if the cam shafts can be interchanged. Any thoughts on this one.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Same single bolt fixing cam shaft went through the range and could be used on earlier engines with a new front mounting plate. So there was no change between models.

What could change however would be if you bought an after market camshaft and not a Ford original. If that is the case then all bets are off as far as the camshaft is concerned, the lobes could be any shape or size I am afraid.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

dromonedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dromonedog »

If I am getting more lift on my cam than the specs say I should in theory be getting better performance, 0.305 versus 0.255

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Only if both valves are closed throughout compression & power stroke, if the peak angles are the same but the cam height greater you could lose out on both intake and exhaust strokes, I'm pretty sure you can't alter lift without altering angle to counteract this but can't think of anywhere on the web I could point you to to check further. Where's Harry Ricardo when you need an engine expert :cry: have you pulled the dipstick or oil filler when under load to see if there is excessive compression leakage?

I'd third the prolonged hard work for bedding in, not quite the same as intermittent peak demand as in pulling. The lost transmission HP is generally heating effect - anything noticeably cooking in the back end ? if you are measuring at the PTO then the oil is pumping, pressure loss through a valve can absorb power and usually shows itself by heating.

HTH
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Picking up on Brian's point, on my NP Super I splashed out on a New Holland camshaft. The shaft had a different lobe profile from the original. It was narrower and more pointed. The nose to heal dimension was the same so I went ahead and fitted it.
I have to say this engine runs more smoothly than the MK2 and Mk1 engines in my previous Majors. It sounds like a truck engine, which made me wonder if there would have been any reason to vary the camshaft profile between the industrial and tractor engines.
The new cam profile means that the valves are opened later and closed more quickly, which on a slow revving engine produces more power.

dromonedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dromonedog »

Thanks for all the info, one more thing do all the engines in the NP super major require valve rotator cups?

dromonedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dromonedog »

At least the exhaust valves.