battery size

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

battery size

Post by NT »

Hi, i have a 58 new major diesel and was wondering what size the battery needs to be. Got it put all back together today and didnt even get to start is cause the bat from my truck was to small to crank it. The one in my truck is 690 cranking amps. Figured on picking up a 1000 cranking amp battery but figured id check with you guys to see what your running. I cant remember if it was 6 volt from factory but its 12 volt now. thanks for any help

yelbike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by yelbike »

My 63 fsm came with two 6 volt batteries connected in series as per the wiring diagram. This just allows more cranking capacity. I now have single 12 volt battery. Is that battery with 690 cca old? It never hurts to go with a bigger battery.

Kim
True Blue

Battery size

Post by Kim »

A mechanic told me years ago to put in the original size on a restoration and the biggest battery that will fit on a machine that is being used full time. In my experience, he's been right for the last 50 years. :D
Never give up!

NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by NT »

Its 550 cold crank 690 above 32 it was 45 when i tried it. Its not old only about 18 months. I'll probably pick up the 1000 today. I cant see why that wouldnt work. If not i'll take it back and find a bigger one. Thanks