Super major brake shaft

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
woodcutter
True Blue

Super major brake shaft

Post by woodcutter »

Hi all I was going to replace seal behind brakes on super major and now found that the bearing is worn out how do I remove shaft, I've got brake housing off will the shaft just pull out or have I got to remove top and work from inside cheers any info appreciated

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Super major brake shaft

Post by mathias1 »

the shafts can be removed without removing the top. If you can have one side out, you can hammer the other one out using a long metal tube or something.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Just pull it, they come out easily usually or take out the ring of bolts that hold it to the axle housing and take the whole lot out. Nothing will fall off if you do one side at a time.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Ok cheers I will have a go later, the bearing has had it the cage has completely gone, so hopefully I can purchase new bearings, I haven't took the diff lock side off yet but I'm guessing both sides will be the same :roll:

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I've just popped out and tried pulling shaft out but won't budge so I've tried pulling whole lot out and it will come out about 10mil and stop and I've put levers behind and I've tried threading bolts in threaded holes to push it off but it's not budging any ideas or should I try other side and if that comes out hit through with a metal rod cheers kev

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Well I've had a good go at it and I can't get either side to come out, I'm thinking of welding a bolt on end of shaft and rig up a puller and see if that works

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Try breaking the bad bearing?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I did get it out but I had to weld a bolt on end and wind it out the other one tapped out quite easily then the left hand one with the bad bearing teeth are pretty chipped up, the diff lock side bearing isn't so bad but needs changing teeth are good so I need a new shaft for left hand side and two bearing plus seals, least the brakes looked good