my gearbox rebuild

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Old52
True Blue

Re: my gearbox rebuild

Post by Old52 »

Thank you Mathias and Billy for your replies. I will start a new thread and start posting photos. Any tricks for splitting the tractor? I have some good heavy duty trolley jacks and an engine hoist, but wonder what others have done? Any idea of the weight of the transmission?

Best regards,

Bob

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Bob,

trolley jack do have tiny wheels, so no good idea.
I used a pallet jack under the engine and filled up with wooden blocks nailed together.
There's a tool specially made for it: it's called "tractor splitting rails". I've seen these more for sale nowadays.
Maybe it's an option to buy one, and sell the on after the job is finished.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The splitting rail is the best option, but only usable on a solid flat floor. Remember you'll need to catch 15 gallons of EP90 oil from both the gearbox and the rear axle.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

There shouldn’t be EP90 anywhere in the Major back end.

Old52
True Blue

Post by Old52 »

Thanks Gents. I have found a couple of sites with good info on splitting tractors ( like putting wedges in the front to prevent the engine from rolling on the front axle pivot), so think that I will get out my old stick welder and fabricate something as a custom fit. I have a good smooth concrete floor to work on so the HD trolley jacks I have should roll OK, but will fabricate a frame with wheels to hold the front portion, using a bottle jack to get the exact height right. It seems most folks roll the rear wheels back away from the engine as the preferred way to do it. Still wondering about how heavy the transmission is (over 500 lbs?) and what I can use to hold it while working on things. There are hydraulic tables that are not too expensive that might be the right choice. If you want to be inspired check out the "Harmless Farmer" to see someone with no arms, split an old International using only his feet! Incredible and humbling.

Old52
True Blue

Post by Old52 »

Hi Sandy:

What is the cause of it popping out of gear usually? Worn shift fork, worn dogs?

Bob

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Bob,

Is there a lot of play on the gear stick? Is it an easy shifter?
Or is it the main High/low that's popping out?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The early selector detent retainers are expected to do this as they allow much easier movement and were not changed until 08B-743082 when the plungers changed from tapered to spherical contact, holding the selectors against the push of the gears.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old52
True Blue

Post by Old52 »

Hi Mathias and Sandy: The gearbox has always been easy to shift and only pops out of 1st gear (Low range). I don't know if it would do the same when in 3rd gear (high range) as it is never used to pull anything hard in 3rd gear. 1st and 2nd gear are the only ones that see any hard pulling. It does not pop out of 2nd gear. This problem has gotten worse over time (I have driven this tractor since I was tall enough to use the peddles, so about 50 years now... :) ) so I assume it is a wear issue versus as designed to do, as Sandy seems to be saying. The tractor serial number is 1229858.

One other thing I have noticed is there seems to be more gear "whine" when in the High range versus Low (so 3,4 and 6). Is that common with these?

Cheers

Old52
True Blue

Post by Old52 »

Oops, pedals....not peddles

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The sound of each gear is different, but high gears are significantly different from low gears.
If first jumps out it's to be expected to jump out in third as well, as the high/low gearbox is completely independent. The original detent retainer will wear much more easily, Billy also jumps out of first/third, we just hold the gear lever when under a heavy load to avoid it jumping out (very effectively, otherwise you worry about the gear lever hammering in to your knee!).
Your Major is a very early one (June 1952), it would be great to see some pics.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

The wining could be the result of low oil level. The bearings that fail are needle bearings on the upper shaft. As you are using 6th gear, all gears turn a lot faster and will cause more noise.

Old52
True Blue

Post by Old52 »

Thanks Gents: I will get some pictures up when I get back to the farm. Have been stuck in Toronto for awhile, so as soon as I can get away (just got my vaccine tonight!) I'll get some shots up. I was also wondering about pictures that AdrianNPMajor had posted in 2018 showing his gearbox rebuild and wondered how to get access to those? I tried to send him a PM, but not sure if it went. I need to learn more about how this forum works....

Cheers, Bob

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I don't think Adrian has posted anything for a while.
Sandy
ImageImageImage