Good luck Brian and Oscar

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
flashdognz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Good luck Brian and Oscar

Post by flashdognz »

Good luck Brian and Oscar,

I have really appreciated your help over the years. Without your help my tractor would probably be a lot closer to the scrap bin. I will definately be attempting to download the forum offline for future reference. Good luck with your normal life, I know these online things can consume a lot of resource (time and money).

Thanks

Heath.

whirly
True Blue

Re: Good luck Brian and Oscar

Post by whirly »

DITTO!!

And thank you to ALL of the members for the help my tractor has received over the short period I've been a member. The collective knowledge of this community will be sadly missed.
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the good wishes chaps, I am not going away completely so you can contact me via fordsontractorpages at btconnect.com shortly. I am also on Yesterdays Tractors on the Fordson forum as Majorman.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

I am terribly sad to hear this news.
All things must indeed come to an end, but for so many people this website has been a rock. It’s not just the knowledge that the founders and members have given freely to whomever needed it, it’s also the culture of the site. By that I mean the respect and kindness that the founders have instilled. Members treat each other and visitors with a courtesy that is rare on the internet, and sadly not as common as it should be in the physical world.
The magnitude of data uploaded to the internet each day is mind-boggling, as is the number of websites. Little of that data and few of those destinations are worth the time it takes to find them. This site is an exception.
It’s perhaps a sign of the times that what is genuine and valuable falls by the wayside whilst a mass of mediocrity forces its way into our lives.
I shall miss this site and community. It has become part of my life.
Kindest regards to Oscar, Brian, all of the expert team and all members.
Adrian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

And you have my telephone number Adrian! :D :D :D :D :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Yes,

Many many thanks to Oscar, Brian and the rest of the team. This site really was and still is very good and helpful.

Rgds Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

I'm very sorry to here this forum is going.

I also feel slightly guilty. I've pillaged the vast knowledge from others without really giving much back.

As a young engineer just starting in my career my major's restoration has really helped me. I'm just about to complete my apprenticeship and honestly I think I would have struggled if not for my major, the time I've spent on her and the fact I have alsways been able to fall back to this site for help. It's been so much help!!

Is it too late? Can we try and save it? Or create something similar?

Well thank you for first creating the site and then keeping it going, answering my questions and everyone else's!! It will be missed!

guduell
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by guduell »

Good luck and thanks a lot!

(Is it partly due to the GDPR? Then moving the site out of EU might be a solution.)

(I hope i will be ready with the Selene this spring)
1958 Major
1953-59 mix with backhoe Hymas type 3 (project)
1961Selene 4wd (project)

dwol
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dwol »

Good luck to all, and thank you for all of the advise over the years. Sad to see this site go....
David

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments that have been expressed about this sad news. These two individuals have obviously done a great deal for the Fordson tractor movement over the last many years.

As Oscar says it is true that the vintage and classic tractor scene has changed and is still changing. It used to be made up entirely of people who have used or worked on or sold or serviced these grand machines in their more youthfull years, today we have a few people to whom it is more " fashionable" to own an old tractor or a collection. But also there are thankfully many more truly enthusiastic younger folk who will have their own experiences to gather and their own tales and knowledge to pass on in the future. They need to be helped and encouraged and forums like this do just that.

I hope that something does rise to replace this forum. Surely the Fordson clubs and societies could help in some way, even if only by way of a small precept on membership fees to cover the costs of running such a replacement?
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Over the past three or four years we have approached all the Fordson Tractor Clubs in England and no one wanted to take it on or we could not reach agreement with them. The site was offered for free. We were very disappointed.
Brian

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Brian wrote:Over the past three or four years we have approached all the Fordson Tractor Clubs in England and no one wanted to take it on or we could not reach agreement with them. The site was offered for free. We were very disappointed.
Well all I can say is that is very short sighted and self damaging of the ( 2? ) clubs. The Fordson Forum pages are the single things that usually change from day to day, with new topics continually posted and new solutions and advice continually offered. I would bet that most people accessing the Forum pages in the UK first go onto the website of one or the other of the clubs, and then select the link to the Forum. In going onto the websites they are firstly able to see if anything new has been put on the website for them to read, before progressing onto the Forum pages. Sometimes the contents of these websites do not change for days or even weeks at a time. The website managers are continually crying out for material from the members to put on the websites - " remember this is YOUR website, we need material from you" etc. etc.

In my view if the Forum is allowed to die then the visits to the club websites will diminish significantly and those websites could follow the same route.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

just found this sad but i would offer my thanks have got a lot out of it over the years my thanks to Brian and Oscar b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

It is a shame but I think the whole forum concept is changing with so much done on twitter and faceache. I don't do either.
Would there be scope for members joining in with one of the farming forums with a classic machinery section?

Regards and thanks to all.

Peter

Kjetil
True Blue

Post by Kjetil »

Thanks to evryone that has contributed, and Oscar and Brian in particular.

Anyone want to look forward?

I realy dont know how much work it is to run a site like this and cost.

Thoughts spinning in my head: anyone want to share e-mail adresses, so we have somewhere to go when in need?
Anyone want to help starting something similar?

Oscar: Would it be possible to buy a copy of the content of this site?
How large is it?

Anyway. Thanks again

Kjetil

5000blues
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 5000blues »

Thank you Brian and Oscar for all your knowledge shared over the years, it's a sad fact of life that people with your skills and knowledge are getting thin on the ground. Best of luck with whatever you have planned in the future.
If the seat is wet, sit on your hat, better to have a cool head than a wet arse

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Just logged in as a slightly less frequent user these days and looks like the site may be closing. Thanks to Oscar and Brian in particular since without him and this site I would probably never have found a DAR valve for my super major roadless. Hopefully someone will step forward and fill the gap that will be left, there is a whole lot of useful information on here it would be a real shame to lose it all.
Regards, Ed

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello to all. I have not been on here in a while and it was with great sadness I see that the forum is ending. I want to thank all for the help I received, without it my PM would not be running. I have not read all posts but when will the site be gone? Also has there been any thought of a face book page or a group like I am in on yahoo where I get help fixing pinball machines. Hate to lose complete contact of the many different ones on here. I still have the 58 Major if anyone looking for parts. Happy trails to all.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Before more people think that the forum is ending, it's best to tell in this topic that Mathias1 and I will continue both forum and site. It will stay in the air after may 9.
O course if you want to express your gratitude to Oscar and Brian, please do as for those two man we have a lot to thank for.
Brian will stay on the forum, first as an admin in the background and later maybe as member.
At the moment the process of overtaking is happening and Mathias and I need some time to make things go smooth. We’re not having it in the finger tips yet.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Well that is good news, there is such a lot of info here.

flashdognz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by flashdognz »

Henk, What great news that the forum will stay up.

I have a very eager 2 year old boy and a 50 year old Super Major who both love each other very much. With this forum I know I have some chance of keeping the old girl going. My boy thinks I can fix anything. little does he know I would be lucky to know how to put the diesel in without a little help, but hopefully I will be able to continue to live up to his expectations for a few more years. :D

In the past members (in particular Brian) has helped me diagnose and solve problems. So a big thanks to you Brian still.

It was with a heavy heart that tried logging in the other day and expected the worst. But so relieved I can continue to harvest some of the wealth of information here.

Thanks.

henk

Post by henk »

Glad Matthias and I could help, and thanks for your support.
Kind regards, Henk

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Dear Henk
That's an admirably modest response.
You and Mathias have saved a great resource that was so close to being lost, and you are continuing the good work of Oscar and Brian.
Best regards and thanks
Adrian

henk

Post by henk »

Thanks.
Mathias and I are just taking care of the tools. All the writers are making this forum great. :clap:
Kind regards, Henk

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Been a while since I've been here. Glad all is not lost. A Big thanks too Brian and Oscar for all they did. The rest of us need to be good soldiers and carry on the best that we can. We have real big shoes to fill. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major