Power Major Cylinder Block Repairs

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
stephen bendall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Power Major Cylinder Block Repairs

Post by stephen bendall »

Looking in the old bulletin board i noticed a couple of posts relating to the use of BELZONA metal repair products.How does this work and which UK companies or indivuals can do this work? Thanks in advance, Stephen Bendalll
stephen bendall

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Thoroughly recommend Belzona and you can do the job yourself.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

stephen bendall
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by stephen bendall »

Brian, with the belzona, what do you do? and how effective is it for an engine in everyday use? a trade supplier suggested i would be better off with a suitable replacement block which he can supply thanks stephen
stephen bendall

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

We used Belzona on the Major range when they were in full everyday use back in the late 1960's and 1970's. If done right, it is the best thing I have seen of that type of material. We suffered badly here from block erosion, some times the whole of the top ring groove would be gone.

We used to put an old "O" ring in the groove with a little oil, then put in the lower part of a liner that had been cut off. Build up all round with Belzona and wait until hard, then remove the liner and old ring. This then formed a perfect groove.

Of course everything had to be very clean.

If you can get a new block then that would be a better way out but if price is a consideration, I would have no hesitation about using Belzona.

PS. I have no commercial interest in the product. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian