Power Major Oil Pressure Problem

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
optimistjohn
Not Quite Blue Yet

Power Major Oil Pressure Problem

Post by optimistjohn »

Dear Fordson Folks, I'm finishing up a total rebuild on my FPM motor, and I have a problem with oil pressure. After I installed the head but before the fuel system was reassembled, I cranked the motor (with the starter, decompression engaged) to check oil pressure and had zero. The dipstick says full and I primed the oil filter. I removed the gage just to see if it was bad, but the fitting squirted nothing. I cranked the motor for probably 20 seconds and it turned over nice but even with assembly lube I was afraid to go much longer. I didn't do anything to the oil pump except inspect and clean it, and it looked good. I'd appreciate any advice or tips on what else I can do or check. I'd sure like to avoid dropping the pan. Sincerely, John in SC

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

John,

Normally the pump does not require priming but, if you remove the oil pressure switch, you can use a "squirt" can to put some into the main gallery and into the pump.

If you use assembly compound or plenty of oil as you build the engine up, you don't need to worry about turning her over to get oil pressure before starting. I alway fill the crank and block with oil as I assemble.

If the pump is in good order, it will lift kerosene from a bucket by spinning the gears by hand.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

optimistjohn
Not Quite Blue Yet

Power Major Oil Pressure

Post by optimistjohn »

Dear Brian, Thanks for the help, again. I pulled the crank pulley, gear cover, and the intermediate gears so that I could spin the auxiliary shaft, and fairly quickly got oil pressure. Then after reassembling the gears I cranked the motor with the starter and got about 30 PSI. Does that seem about right? (I know I just did a lot of needless work but I'd rather do that than risk running zero oil pressure at startup.) Thanks again for your support. John